Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surgeon Rear-admiral Herbert Hull

PhilH

I am looking for some pointers in researching my great uncle's service in world war one. His name was Herbert Richard Barnes Hull and in later life he was surgeon rear admiral in charge of the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar and apparently surgeon to king George V.

According to Who's Who 1960 he joined the Royal Navy as a surgeon in 1911 and during the "European War" of 1914 to 1918 served in German New Guinea, the North Sea, Gallipoli, Palestine (mentioned in despatches). was lent to the RAF and served with them in France and was later principal medical officer RAF Scotland.

I have been down the research path for my grandfather who was an infantry soldier, but I am not so sure where to start with a naval surgeon and someone who was lent to the RAF.

Thanks

Phil

PRO ADM 104/50 contains Medical Director General's notes on promotions and appointments192-1926. Apparently they include details of previous services, character and professional abilities of candidates whose names were to be submitted to 2nd Naval Lord.

From the sound of it, a potentially fascinating source. (garnered from "Naval Records for Genealogists" by NAM Rodger, a PRO handbook).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil,

Got some info on Herbert using the 'Navy Lists' in the RN Museum in Portsmouth.

He was first mentioned in the 'Lists' in June 1912 but not annotated as serving anywhere.

He was serving in HMS CEASER a twin screw battleship based in Devonport from 19/6/12 to 9/5/13.

He was serving in FANTOME a Sloop based at Devonport from 10/5/13 to 9/12/14.

He was then shore based at HMS VIVID which was the name for the barracks at devonport from 10/12/14 to March 1915.

From March 1915 to March 1917 he was in a commisioned Merchant vessel the BEN MY CREE.

From there he went to CRANWELL, the RAF college just for a month before going back to HMS VIVID in April 1917. From joining to this point he was annotated as a surgeon.

For some reason there is a gap in the records and although mentioned he is not annotated as serving anywhere although I found him in November 1918 as serving with the RAF as a Lt Surgeon since May 1918.

His last record in the Navy list was in April 1941 when he was a surgeon commander (seniority 30/6/35) at the Naval Hospital, Chatham.

Hope this helps :)

regards

Steve

• 13 years later...

Phil,

Heaven only knows if you're still out there more than 13 years later, but I've just found some pictures of Herbert Richard Barnes Hull in a photograph album. He also has photographs in the National Portrait Gallery.

Personal message if you see this and are interested.

seaJane