Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3266 Bugler Joseph French

Guest markmfrench

Guest markmfrench

I am trying to research my Great Uncle Joseph William French who was killed in action on 6th June 1915 at Ypres.

He was a member of 3rd Battalion KRRC, his service number is 3266 and he joined the Rifles in January 1909.

I believe he is buried in La Brique Cemetery #2 although they have the date of his death as 6th June 1916.

I was trying to find information on actions of the 3rd battalion around the time of his death but have not had much luck.

Any help or information about him or the 3rd KRRC would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

A short history is given at http://www.1914-1918.net/krrc.htm.

3rd Battalion

August 1914 : in Meerut, India, part of Bareilly Brigade in Meerut Division.

Returned to England on 18 November 1914.

Moved to Winchester and joined 80th Brigade in 27th Division.

21 December 1914 : landed at Le Havre.

18 November 1915 : sailed from Marseilles and moved to Salonika, arriving 5 December 1915.

I am trying to research my Great Uncle Joseph William French who was killed in action on 6th June 1915 at Ypres.

He was a member of 3rd Battalion KRRC, his service number is 3266 and he joined the Rifles in January 1909.

I believe he is buried in La Brique Cemetery #2 although they have the date of his death as 6th June 1916.

I was trying to find information on actions of the 3rd battalion around the time of his death but have not had much luck.

Any help or information about him or the 3rd KRRC would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

There is a medal card for a Joseph W French of that Bn under service number 7990 which states he was a corporal and later promoted to sergeant.

There is another card for a Pt Joseph French under service number 3266 but that is for the 3rd Rifle Brigade.