Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pt Joseph Maddison Suddick 2nd S.W.Borderers

ss002d6252

I have been researching my great uncle Pte Joseph Maddison Suddick and found quite a bit our about him including the fact he won the Military Medal on 11 March 1918 at the Goldberg Spur somewhere in the area of Virile Farm - the official history states the unit as 'having their HQ Virile Farm and facing Vat Cottages on the left ad Void and Velox Farms on the right'.

Iam trying to locate as large a map of this area as possible to go with all the information Ive collected but does anyone know where I can get a map of this area showing the trench positions held ?

ss00...

How grand do you want it to be ? WO153 at the National Archives has a range of Maps from 1914-1918,you just need to track down the file you need from the on-line Catalogue.

The 2 SWB War Diary for this period will probably have something too and will be easier to track as this is the reference WO95/2304 when the Bn was with 87 Brigade of 29 Division.

There is also a 29 Divisional History byNaval and Military Press which might have it.

Finally there may be someone here with the map already,maybe I should have put that firstly !

Sotonmate

I have been researching my great uncle Pte Joseph Maddison Suddick and found quite a bit our about him including the fact he won the Military Medal on 11 March 1918 at the Goldberg Spur somewhere in the area of Virile Farm - the official history states the unit as 'having their HQ Virile Farm and facing Vat Cottages on the left ad Void and Velox Farms on the right'.

Iam trying to locate as large a map of this area as possible to go with all the information Ive collected but does anyone know where I can get a map of this area showing the trench positions held ?

The map looks to be 20SE3- Westroosebeeke.

I have a copy of this on an Adobe file if you want it, and its corrected to 17/9/1917, but it's too large to e-mail as it's 34MB. I may be able to print a segment off and scan it into jpeg to e-mail you.

Cheers,

SteveJ.

Done it. I have a section of the trench map covering the relevant area scanned in. If you can PM me with your e-mail address, I will send it on to you.

SteveJ.

ss00....

..me psychic !!

Sotonmate

Hi

Thanks for the offer to send me the relevant map.

Is there a minimum post level to send PM's on this forum ? I suspect there is but how many posts is it as it wont let me send messages at present.

Hi

Thanks for the offer to send me the relevant map.

Is there a minimum post level to send PM's on this forum ? I suspect there is but how many posts is it as it wont let me send messages at present.

I think it's 10 posts. I can't PM you either!

SteveJ.