The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Capt T G Newbury - Lincolns

John_Hartley

I cannot find the Gazette citation for the above officer (although there are several references to his temp/permanent promotions). I know, from those references, that he must have been awarded the Cross during 1916/17.

Are there any Lincoln (or MC experts) experts out there who have the details. Details of the action would be most helpful.

This officer is the father of the webmaster of a small village site who was extremely helpful to me in researching one of my memorial chaps and I'd like to repay the favour if possible.

Thanks in anticipation

John

John,

His MC is listed in the Gazette, published 1 June 1917 with no citation.. (page 30)

As "Lt (actg. Capt) Thomas Grindall Newbury"

Maybe a subsequent citation in a later addition

Do you know which battalion he served or where he came from?

Jim

Thanks for finding this, Jim.

That edition of the Gazette is the Kings Birthday Honours List and shows loads of MC awards. Is this likely to mean that he got his award for "general" gallant service rather than a specific act?

John

John,

Unfortunately I don't know whether it would be for general gallant service etc, but I'm sure someone else will!

There is a history of the Lincolnshire Regt, which is fairly detailed, and might have a reference to Thomas. I don't have a copy-but know other pals do.

With the MC being gazetted in June 1917, if it was for actions during a major action I would imagine the actions at Arras would be most likely. Unfortuantely most of the battalions were involved one way or another, so it would be difficult to narrow anything down.

Jim

John:

Brigadier Thomas Grindall Newbury

Born July 1895

Educated at Bradfield College from Sept 1904 to July 1913; Prefect 1913; Football XI, 1912; Cadet Pair, 1909; Shooting VIII, 1911, Captain 1913.

Commissioned as 2nd Lieut., 1/3rd Lincs Regt. 1914

Later Captain

Military Cross, 1916

Belgian Croix de Guerre, 1918

Married 1918

Served with 2nd Bn, Lincs Regt., India, 1923-1926

Adjutant, Univ. of London OTC, 1931-1935

Major, 1935

Colonel, 14 Oct 41

Temp. Brigadier, 14 Apr 42

Died on Active Service, 1945

Sources: Bradford College Registers, 1935 and 1963;

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi John

Have looked through Simpsons 'History of the Lincolnshire Regiment' and sorry but cannot seem to find reference to the award of the medal but there is a reference to him which refers to him taking temporary command of the 1st Lincs during an attack on July 3rd 1916.

page 177 - 'The battalion, however, in addition to numerous casulties, suffered a heavy loss, for Lieut Colonel Grant, who had led A Company to the attack was seriously wounded in the head just as C Company reinforced the line. Captain T.G Newbury then took over temporary command.'

Attack was in the region of Shelter Wood, and at least you now have a BAttalion for him.

Sorry its not much

Chris

Thanks, guys. More than enough to pass on the relative and repaying his kindness (which involved trailing round a very overgrown churchyard in deepest Doset looking for the widow's grave).

Dick - you never cease to amaze me with the wealth of info at your disposal - you should be bottled for posterity.

John

Just as a footnote to this thread, Newbury Junior has been in touch to say thanks for the info. He's since found a copy of what seems to be the recommendation for the MC, as follows:

"Lieut: (acting Captn) Thomas Grindall Newbury, on 25th Sept 1916, at

Geudicourt [?] assembled with marked success the survivors of three

companies of his Battn in the frontline trenches after an advance of

1500 yards: under shell fire of the greatest intensity and heavy

machinegun fire: By his quick judgement and initiative he enabled a

very important position to be quickly and safely consolidated undewr

very critical conditions. This officer has been with this Battn since

Novr 1914 has been twice wounded and has done loyal and valuable work

throughout.

62nd Brigade 21st Division First Corps

Date of recommendation 1st March 1917"

He also tells me of a handwritten letter in his possession which I reproduce below. He understands Monty had been on the staff of 62 Brigade and had known his father during WW1.

"TAC Headquarters, 21 Army Group

13 - 6 - 44

My dear Newbury

Thank you for your letter. I was glad to hear news of you again.

Next time you are in my vicinity look in on me and see me.

Yrs sincerely

BL Montgomery"

Thanks again, guys

John

John.

Fascinating stuff you just posted. Simpsons Regimental History givesa good four page account of this attack on Gueudecourt, in which the 1st Lincs lost 14 officers and 164 or. It states objectives, trenches reached, retired from etc, . If you would like it copied just email me off forum with your address (again - sorry deleted email address book) and i post it for you.

Regards

Chris

Chris

Thanks - but no need. Newbury, Jnr, tells me he's now got a copy of the Regt history. I think our job here is done (to coin a phrase).

John

• 2 years later...

Well, well well, as they say.

here I am casually ambling along minding my own business doing an in depth analysis of the attack at shelter wood on 3rd July 1916 and what do I stumble across but this. The name I recognise from my notes as the man who took over command of 1st Lincs at this action.

Chris I would be grateful of a copy of said that you offered to john a few years ago if you are still able, for my notes later on when i get to that battle for 21st div?

John are you able to give me anymore info on this officer since you posted here?

John, also given the rank and he died on active service do you have any information as this where when etc. This is what the CWGC says.

In Memory of

Brigadier THOMAS GRINDALL NEWBURY

MC

Lincolnshire Regiment

and Commands and Staff, General Staff

who died age 49

on 05 April 1945

Son of Lt.-Col. P. F. R. Newbury and of Mrs. L. H. J. Newbury (nee Turnbull); husband of Dorothea Newbury, of Fleet, Hampshire.

Remembered with honour

LILLE SOUTHERN CEMETERY

and this about the cemetery and area.

Lille was occupied by the Germans from the 27th August, to the 5th September, 1914, and again on the 12th October; and it remained in their hands, undamaged by Allied artillery, until the 17th October, 1918. Southern Cemetery was used by the Germans during the greater part of the War, and after the Armistice by the 39th Stationary Hospital and the 1st Australian Casualty Clearing Station. During the 1939-45 War, at the end of March 1940, the 50th Division was near Lille; while in May the same year 10 Casualty Clearing Station used the Cemetery from the 16th to the 25th of the month. There are now over 600, 1914-18 and nearly 300, 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number from the 1914-18 War are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to one soldier from the United Kingdom known to be buried among them. From the 1939-45 War nearly 40 are unidentified. The French number of Plot I is V.2; that of Plot II, V.4; and that of Plot III (where British prisoners of War are buried) J.1.

I am really intrigued by this gentleman

regards

Arm

Arm

Public reply follwos private reply (so folk don't think I'm ignoring you).

Nothing to add on the guy's story, you now have his son's contact details.

John

thanks again John in case they think I'm ignoring you :lol:

Have sent the son a message and will await developments, however he has another website that gives some info about his father and grandfather and brother. His grandfather was killed in 1918 as Lt-col of 8th Lincolns and his brother was killed during 1944 in italy. The family it appears has a tradition of military men. His great uncle was killed in Mespot, I think and another relative died in the Boer war!!!

Will let you know how I get on.

regards

Arm

John,

Just heard back from his son, Hugh, and he has given me permission to use what info he has to do a small bio of him and also three cracking pictures as well of him , one with his father who as I have said was also killed during the war! Fantastic result, now just need to do a bit more research on him to do the man justuce.

Oh by the by he died of a heart attack apprently!

Ever so grateful of your help

regards

Arm