Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible Non Commemoration

MelPack

Could someone check this one out on the CWGC in case I am missing the glaringly obvious.

It looks very much like an open and shut case - pension papers confirm vascular complications caused by GSW to chest cavity.

I just need the all clear that he is not on the CWGC or elsewhere in the pipeline before ordering the DC.

Mel

post-859-1258132683.jpg

• 4 months later...

I now have the Death Certificate for Edgar.

He died on 27 October 1918 and the certificate records the cause of death as 'Tubeculosis of the Lungs' and Syncope (Cardiac).

Edgar's Pension papers are here for those with an Ancestry subscription:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...&recoff=1+2

The cause of the discharge was cardiac complications arising from GSW to the chest cavity. There is no mention of tuberculosis.

Is the mention of Syncope (Cardiac) on the Death cert enough to secure commemoration?

Mel

Mel

Are the TB and Syncope linked i. e. 1a) and 1b) on the DC or as two seperate causes?

The main thing is, is that you have gone to the trouble to get the DC so the whole package might as well be submitted. It's not as if the cause was obviously different from discharge reason e.g Flu. Be a shame not to try it given what Edgar went through.

Hywyn

Guest KevinEndon

If he is not on SDGW or Gro then there is a great chance that his name hasn't been put forward as a poss non-comm

fingers crossed you have found one, the feeling you get when you get a man in from the cold is to be compaired to nothing else,

Kevin

Mel

I feel this is a strong case with cardiac issues clearly mentioned as a cause of discharge and cause of death. Are you intending to submit the case to CWGC/MoD yourself or would you like the In From the Cold Project to act for you? If the latter, could you please contact Terry. He'll need the link to the service papers and a scan of the death certificate.

John

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The Death cert just itemises the causes without any numeration.

I will take John's advice on pushing the case forward. All the copy documents are now hurtling towards Terry in cyber space to be processed on board the IFTC project.

Mel

• 1 year later...

John

Terry kindly took this photograph of Edgar's grave (he is one of his local lads):

post-859-0-75425700-1302964287.jpg

Terry thinks that the stone will be replaced in due course.

Mel

• 1 month later...
Guest Grimbly

Hi,

Edgar Jefferies was my Great Uncle and I undertook a lot of the same research for my family history that you have very kindly done recently, and I think I may have posted on here about him way back in 2007 with a different user name. I wrote to the CWGC in the early part of 2007 about re-marking Edgars grave but at the time did not get a successful reply. The IFTC campaign has been a great success by the look of it, and has managed to get the recognition that these soldiers deserved.

From the family information I have found Edgar returned home from hospital a year after he was wounded but was not in a good state. As far as I can tell his younger brother "employed" him to help in his shoe repair business, but it was a bit of a fig leaf to help his self respect I suspect. His chest injuries were pretty grim and he was re-assessed only two weeks before he died. I have a picture of the original headstone. its very dark, but if anyone is interested i will see if I can post it.

I have recently gone back to the family history research after a break and was astounded and pleased to find this thread about Edgar on here, as well as the information that the stone may well be replaced. Is there any way I can find out about this for sure?

My grandfather (one of Edgars brothers) played football with Edgar before the war, and I suppose luckily for me, could not sign up because of TB. For the last three years I have made a trip to the cemetery to pay my respects on Armistice day.

My father, his cousin (both Edgars nephews), and most of us from my grandfathers side are still in the area and I will be passing on this great news.

Many thanks for all your great work, which I know is all done voluntarily.

David Jefferies

Hello David

Welcome back to the Board.

It looks as if our paths crossed on your original thread here:

http://1914-1918.inv...=1

I stumbled across your great uncle whilst researching a missing Fromelles soldier of the same surname. Noticing that it was a post discharge death I conducted a CWGC search to establish whether he was commemorated - that started the ball rolling and the rest is history.

Mel

Guest Grimbly

It was great to find that he had been "discovered" by someone other than me.

I have a few pics of Edgar soon after signing up. I have been struggling to get them down to 100kb to attach one but I seem to have managed it here with a typical portrait shot.

I've got a couple more with him with the family in the back yard, looking a bit more relaxed.

Edgar signed up on the 9th Dec 1915 and had a different regimental number (4354) but was changed to 16041 when he was posted to the 13th on 19th Sept 1916 after arrival in Etaples (I think I've read his Casualty Form correctly) post-72295-0-30912200-1306578494.jpg