Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British WW1 '10' pocket grenade vest.

findabetterole

Hello All,

I would like to call upon the forums help if I may.

Does anyone know of the existance of a reproduction example of the British WW1 '10' pocket grenade vest, or know anyone who would be able to supply copies of scale drawing of same? I have a bundle of numerous WW1 '11' pocket American examples that I would like to convert for my WW1 reenactment unit : The 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers (GWHS - Southern California). Copies of any period photographs of the British item in theater would be most gratefully received.

My thanks in advance,

Seph

Seph

Attached is a contemporary photo of the 10 pocket carrier laid out with a 1" scale below. PM me if you want a larger file of this as it loses something reduced to below 100kb.

Mike

post-97-1258108708.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Mike.. sorry for the late reply.

That illustration is just the sort of example I was after. Do you have any of the rear of the vest?

Seph

Seph

I am afraid that I don't have a photo of the reverse of the vest, but as I remember from examining the IWM's only example years ago the pockets are machine stitched onto a rectangle of the cotton cloth and the triangular pieces to which the tapes are attached are separate pieces machined on. The tapes are machined out of the same material. The adjustable halter is the of same 2" woven tape as the SBR haversack sling and the sliding buckle is the same as on the SBR haversack. Hope this helps

Yours

Mike

Mike.. Thank You!

I have a very good idea now of the work required. I need to find an extremely good excuse to give the missus so I can comandere her sawing machine! :whistle: A test project will be attempted over this Christmas/New Years period. This thread will be picked up, and I'll post the results!

Thanks once again Mike... much appreciated.

Seph ;):D

Paul.. if thats the item that Mike mentioned.. I'm honoured.. Thank You!

Seph :D

I wonder if it was made by MW&S, the press studs being smooth like those used on some of their pre 1917 entrenching tool holders. When did these items come into use? Regards, Paul.

Paul

I don't recall a manufacturer's name on the carrier and have not found a reference in "List of Changes", however the carrier is shown in the handbook CDS 74 "The Training and Employment of Grenadiers" which was issued by GHQs in October 1915.

Mike

however the carrier is shown in the handbook CDS 74 "The Training and Employment of Grenadiers" which was issued by GHQs in October 1915.

Mike

Mike,

Do you have a copy of the publication you mention, and if so, could you post the relevant pic? I have a copy of: The Training and employment of Bombers [september 1916] : S.S.126 - 40/WO/3352 - O.B.367; but it shows no items of what we are discussing.

Seph

Hello all,

I have an original 10 pocket bombers vest. I will post some photos in the next few days. I am away from home at the moment so cannot access the vest to check, but I think it has a makers cartouche stamped on one of the body straps. From memory it is a German sounding name like Schneider and Co London 1915 but is very indistinct. I have come across this company on other cotton drill accessories. I have a private purchase Officers bag for a tube helmet with Sam Browne hooks on the back made by the same company (I'm pretty sure I've got the name rightbut its been a while since I looked at it) I will see if I can get a photo of the stamp. On my example the neck strap is of the same drill as the body of the vest. I have had two of these rare vests over the years but the other example had the body tie straps removed. As I recall the only marking on that was an ink diamond stamped on the back.

As to the press studs, these are smaller than the 'smooth' type used on webbing, but similar to the ones used on early cotton bandoliers. I would read no particular significance into the studs. They are standard comercially available press studs of the period and no conclusions can be drawn as to makers. I doubt the major equipment manufacturers had either the capacity or the time to manufacture such items. The bandoliers were made by many different cotton goods firms, no doubt the same applied to the bombers vests.

Photos to follow in about a week.

Tocemma

Seph

Attached are scans of the 2 pics that appear in the handbook, the originals weren't brilliant and my photcopies are worse!!! The only mention of the carriers in the handbook states that they were "packed in boxes containing grenades Nos. 6 & 7" so they were used with those RL friction pattern grenades as well as the No.5. Looks as is Tocemma's offer should get you some good reference for your copy.

Yours

Mike

post-97-1260536031.jpg

post-97-1260536050.jpg

I really apreciate the time and effort you chaps are putting into this. It bears out what I've always maintained... "Ïf one is going to do, do it right!"

Mike, those two pics are great, and really bring the item out into the real world..... not just a museum artifact. I'll have a play with them and se what I can do in reference cleaning them up.. bringing out a few details.

Tacoma... I look forward to seeing the photographs of your example, as I'm certain everyone here is!

Seph

• 5 years later...

Anymore info come up? Perhaps this one can spark interest

Here is a 10 Pocket Grenade Carrier Mk. I.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-06935300-1430174866_thumb.j

Great photo LF, Can anyone identify my photo post or enhance the photos for better detail?

Here is another of the 10 pocket Grenade Carrier in use.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-74844700-1430221174_thumb.j

Great photo LF, Can anyone identify my photo post or enhance the photos for better detail?

A bit larger.

Regards.

LF

post-63666-0-10836000-1430221451_thumb.j