Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help researching Royal Garrison Artillery Gunner

mazer2099

Hi

I'm researching James Kirwan reg no. 15028, gunner with Royal Garrison Artillery, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ok here is his MIC card his service record is also there your lucky !!

MC

post-50787-1258077766.jpg

Hi

here is his MIC it says 7th S.B. R.G.A.

Looks like his Service record has survived too although Ancestry has his Service Number as 15027 but it looks like 8 on the 4th page (there are 4 pages)

hope this helps

regards

Robert

post-49148-1258077731.jpg

P

And here is the War Diary for the 7th Siege Battery RGA,Second Army. WO95/304 is at Kew and runs from Oct 1914 to Oct 1917 when it may have joined something bigger.

Sotonmate

P

And here is the War Diary for the 7th Siege Battery RGA,Second Army. WO95/304 is at Kew and runs from Oct 1914 to Oct 1917 when it may have joined something bigger.

Sotonmate

Thanks for all the replies, do you know if there's a transcribed copy of the war diary on-line? also where in Kew is it? Thanks again for all the information.

Regards

Paul

Paul

I don't think they have yet digitised Artillery Diaries,they are usually very fat and I get the impression from the ones I seek that it's the Infantry ones which are being digitised first.

The National Archives at Kew in West London stores the Diaries in it's Archive,and to read it you make a visit,get processed for a Reader's Ticket (photo and proof of ID required),after which you may enter the Reading Room and order whatever documents you decide to read on the day.

Sotonmate

Paul

I don't think they have yet digitised Artillery Diaries,they are usually very fat and I get the impression from the ones I seek that it's the Infantry ones which are being digitised first.

The National Archives at Kew in West London stores the Diaries in it's Archive,and to read it you make a visit,get processed for a Reader's Ticket (photo and proof of ID required),after which you may enter the Reading Room and order whatever documents you decide to read on the day.

Sotonmate

Hi Satonmate

I'm in Ireland so I guess I'll have to wait until there digitised, thanks for all your help.

I dont think you'll need to wait that long. The author of the thread in the link appears to be a 7SB afficionado and has the War Diary. He hasn't logged on for for about four weeks but if you contact the Moderators I'm sure they'll email him to alert him that you wish to get in touch.

Best wishes.

Andy.

7th Siege Battery