Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Constabulary ?

Guest jlmack

My 1st entry !! In an Attestation Form on my ancestor, it states that 'was he in the Military...etc ? This was asked on an entry into 6th London Brig RFA......and the answer was 'Yes...South African Constabulary'.

Can anyone enlighten me as to How? When? Where? and Why? I have not heard of this Constabulary in about 1901/ Any help with this query would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Lee

Lee

Welcome to the forum.

The South African Constabulary was a force raised by the British in 1900, under the command of Baden-Powell, to maintain order and security in the Orange River Colony and the Transvaal during the 2nd Anglo-Boer War. The SAC was neither a completely Military unit nor a Police Force but fell somewhere between the two, realistically I suppose it was another of the 'irregular' units raised during that war. I'm not sure when it ceased to be but I see that records upto 1908 are available in the South African archives.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Lee

Welcome to the forum.

The South African Constabulary was a force raised by the British in 1900, under the command of Baden-Powell, to maintain order and security in the Orange River Colony and the Transvaal during the 2nd Anglo-Boer War. The SAC was neither a completely Military unit nor a Police Force but fell somewhere between the two, realistically I suppose it was another of the 'irregular' units raised during that war. I'm not sure when it ceased to be but I see that records upto 1908 are available in the South African archives.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thank you Steve - that was a quick reply and will send me along the way. Lee