Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

length of time between enlisting and entering service

jwp2007

A few pages of my great uncles records have turned up on the latest ancestry update, looking at them I noticed he enlisted/attested in 1915 but did not enter service untill 1917, he was married with one child when he attested and was employed on the railways. Just wondered if this length of time was normal at this period in the war,

many thanks,

John.

John,

What did he do on the railways, it says he was in reserve, could he not have carried on working on the railways during that time/

Steve

Hi Steve,

he was employed as a goods porter on our village station, was a bit confused about the reserve, i assume he continued to work for the railway company during this time,just wondered why he was on the reserve,was it his occupation ?, my grandfather enlisted in june 1916 and was in service shortly after,(grandfather was a domestic gardener)

regards,

John.

It was probably his occupation that kept him on reserve. Being on the reserve at this time meant that you had signed up but had been sent home pending call-up. He would have continued with his normal occupation until he got the call in 1917.

However, it is unusual to see a man spending so long on reserve. His age and marital status were other things that would have had an influence on the date of his call up.

Finally, he appears to have signed up under the Derby Scheme, prior to the beginning of conscription.

Ken

Chris/Ken,

many thanks indeed for you replies, most helpful information which has made sense of it all for me !,

much appreciated,

kind regards,

John.

The reason would have almost certainly have been his railway job. Under normal circumstances, he would have been called up a year before he was.

Steve.

Steve,

thank you for your reply, I thought maybe engine driver's would have been held on to, but was surprised to find a humble porter was retained, sadly he died of wounds and is buried in Boulogne eastern cemetery,have attached a link to the bbc remembrance wall where i added a few details about his service,

kind regards,

John.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/remembrance/wall/record/7988

The Midland Railway Roll of Honour lists:

Page 44. Name: Parker, W. Rank: Private. Regiment: West Yorks. Position: Porter. Department: Traffic - Coaching Section. Station: Hellifield.

I assume from his residence on your link that this is him...

Steve.

Steve,

that is indeed him, many thanks for posting this, had not seen this before,

another piece to add to the family story, thanks again it is much appreciated,

with kind regards,

John.