The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs with postcard style backing

Seoras Miller

Looking for a bit of background help please ? I have a photo of my Great Grandfather in his battle dress (7th Cameron Highlanders) which was taken prior to his being killed at Arras (Duisans) in April 1917. The photo may have been taken at a training camp in England or in France ?? I was wondering if it was a normal method to have a photo taken which was produced on a postcard style backing ? By coincidence I have a similar style of picture of one of my Great Uncles from WW2.

Looking for a bit of background help please ? I have a photo of my Great Grandfather in his battle dress (7th Cameron Highlanders) which was taken prior to his being killed at Arras (Duisans) in April 1917. The photo may have been taken at a training camp in England or in France ?? I was wondering if it was a normal method to have a photo taken which was produced on a postcard style backing ? By coincidence I have a similar style of picture of one of my Great Uncles from WW2.

Hi George yes, very common - it was how photographic paper was supplied to the photographers. They could also have their name stamped, printed or embossed into it.

have a look at page 8 here for some examples.

Chris

Chris , Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Your information was very interesting and answers a question that I should have asked a couple of years ago when I first saw the photo of my Great Grandad. I only realised last night though that I only have a scanned copy of the front of the photo as I returned the original to my aunt who has since passed away - unfortunately the photo has gone awol. At least I have a photo of him which is something which I am chuffed about.

Thanks again for your help !

Cheers

George.

Hi George yes, very common - it was how photographic paper was supplied to the photographers. They could also have their name stamped, printed or embossed into it.

have a look at page 8 here for some examples.

Chris