Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KIA 8/2/17.....

eviltaxman

Morning folks.

I was out & about yesterday doing some research and came across a nice little grave to Lt Arthur William Thomas, age 29, 2nd Queen Victoria's Own Sappers & Miners. KIA 8/2/17 Mesopotamia.

The grave was a 6ft+ cross with a sword & scabbard drapped over the cross with the above words on the main base. It doesn't say "in memorium" so I assumed he was buried there... I checked CWGC and they say he was a local lad (Keynsham, near Bristol) but nationality was Indian and buried in Amara War Cemetery! His parents were locals too :blink:

Arthurs full credentials are Lt A W Thomas, Bsc A.M.I.C.E born Bristol

The SDGW CD does not list him and I can't find "Queen Victoria's Own Sappers & Miners" listed anywhere. Can any Pals out there shine any light on these men?

Les.

CWGC does not say he was Indian.

The Nationality displayed on their website is the nationality of the force in which he was serving at the time of death. As he was serving in an Indian Army unit, it therefore says 'Indian'.

The Nationality displayed on their website is the nationality of the force in which he was serving at the time of death. As he was serving in an Indian Army unit, it therefore says 'Indian'.

Thanks Terry,

That would explain a few things... DUH :ph34r:

It was too early in the morning to even try to make sense of what I was doing.

I've since woken up and realised the reason I couldn't find anything... it helps if you spell Victoria correctly....... I used Vicrotia... well it was 6.30am :o

The pic I took wasn't very clear, like the actual details, but the cross was impressive. It also seems the full & correct title of the regiment was "2nd Queen Victoria's Own Madras Sappers & Miners".

Thanks again,

Les.