Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

XI pontoon park

nickcobb

I am researching my uncle Charles Herbert Cobb, 193243. Between 19th August 1916 and 23rd June 1919 he was a driver and cook with 22MT, ASC at XI pontoon park [also spelt conventionally as 11th pontoon park in parts of his service records]. Can anybody tell me exactly what and where 11th pontoon park was?

nick

See this from the LLT at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/ASC_MT.htm

at the bottom of the page a bit about the only two units (?) which had a Pontoon Park.

So I guess you have to find which unit he was in and then find the War Dairy to see what they were up to.

Sotonmate

Edit:

The two Pontoon Parks as above are:

4 Pontoon Park(360 Company ASC)Aug '15 to Nov'17 France 4th Army.WarDiary WO95/514. Same unit in Italy Dec'17 to Jan '19 WO95/4210.

6 Pontoon Park(370 Company ASC)Mar'16 to Jun'19.France 3rd Army. WarDiary WO95/427.

No other PParks as hits in the Catalogue.none certainly for 11 PPark.

In another thread pontoon parks are described as being "RE and ASC units where bridging pontoons were stored, maintained and repaired (Terry Reeves)"

There are documents for 11 Pontoon Park, (775 Company A.S.C.) at the National Archives;

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=5

Someone who knows what they're doing may be able to say what these records might contain.

nick

That's Sod's Law ! No hits on the data for me,but IPTs found it ! The Diary is the same as above 360 Company ASC,4 Pontoon Park.

Sotonmate

I am researching my uncle Charles Herbert Cobb, 193243. Between 19th August 1916 and 23rd June 1919 he was a driver and cook with 22MT, ASC at XI pontoon park [also spelt conventionally as 11th pontoon park in parts of his service records]. Can anybody tell me exactly what and where 11th pontoon park was?

Thank you all. Nick.