Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loyal Lancashire Regiment

mark 69

Hi,My great grandfather served in the Loyal Lancashire Regiment in WW1.I have recieved his papers but i am finding it very hard to understand whats on there.Because we do not know any of his history the dates do not seem to mean alot to me.Also on his papers "Deceased " is stamped across his papers ?.If anyone could help me i would email the papers to you if thats possible.Regards .

Welcome to the Forum. Can you post his details on here ? lots of members have access to Ancestry and will help you out to the very best of their collective ability, deceased stamped across the papers suggests that he was killed/died during his service. Ralph.

Welcome to the Forum. Can you post his details on here ? lots of members have access to Ancestry and will help you out to the very best of their collective ability, deceased stamped across the papers suggests that he was killed/died during his service. Ralph.

Hi,thanks for the welcome.I have tried attaching the files but will not let me upload any ( tried 1 at a time ).Trying to fathom out then will post.Regards

Buryblue, the upload will only allow 100k at a time. what you will need to do is open your picture with Microsoft Office Picture manager. Then select "Picture" - resize and on the extreme right of the screen you will see a rezise pad. If you manually type 50% in the box marked with "percentage of original width and height" it will reduce the size of the picture and reduce the size of the file.

I usually reduce mine by about 50% to give approx 600 x 600 pixels - that usually gives a resulting file size of under 60 K

have a go...

If you still have problems, then just add your grandad's name. some one here will help you out.....or I will give it a go for you.

Many welcomes to you.

Susan.

Buryblue, the upload will only allow 100k at a time. what you will need to do is open your picture with Microsoft Office Picture manager. Then select "Picture" - resize and on the extreme right of the screen you will see a rezise pad. If you manually type 50% in the box marked with "percentage of original width and height" it will reduce the size of the picture and reduce the size of the file.

I usually reduce mine by about 50% to give approx 600 x 600 pixels - that usually gives a resulting file size of under 60 K

have a go...

If you still have problems, then just add your grandad's name. some one here will help you out.....or I will give it a go for you.

Many welcomes to you.

Susan.

Hi Susan,have tried what you said to no avail.I think the programme on my computer that opens the files is faulty.My great grandad was Walter Thomas 14818 enlisted 5/09/1914.Regards

There is another paper on him stating his death as the 1st Sept 1923 in Manchester Royal Hospital from (1) gastric ulcer and (2) cannot decipher it. Ralph.

There is another paper on him stating his death as the 1st Sept 1923 in Manchester Royal Hospital from (1) gastric ulcer and (2) cannot decipher it. Ralph.

Hi Ralph thats quite interesting because the history of Walter is very vague,my dad heard he was gassed in the war,his brother didn,t even know he was in the war ?.The papers i have on him do have "Deceased" stamped on them thou ?.I can also make out that he seemed to be absent from duty on several occassions (drink) !!!.Regards Mark

Here are some of the basic details. I'll have another look at the papers tomorrow and do an update.

8-9-1914: He enlisted at Manchester. He was living at 31, Lord Street, Gorton, Manchester. He was a Watchmaker.

8-9-1914: He was transferred to the Army Reserve the same day (sent home to await call up – they were probably inundated with new recruits and couldn’t process them all).

22-9-14: He was mobilised into the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment at their Depot.

26-9-1914: He was posted to the newly-formed 9th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

23-6-1915: He forfeited 6 days’ pay for unauthorised absence between 18-6-15 and 6.30 a.m. 23-6-15.

10-7-1915: He forfeited 8 days’ pay for unauthorised absence between 2-7-15 and 12 noon 9-7-15.

24-7-1915: He forfeited 7 days’ pay for unauthorised absence between 17-7-15 and 23-7-15.

25-9-1915: He landed in France at Boulogne with the rest of the battalion.

Subsequently wounded and shipped back to the UK.

28-6-1916: Admitted to Bradford War Hospital. For administration purposes he was classed as having been posted to the Regimental Depot.

26-8-1916: Released from hospital and posted to the Army Western Command Depot at Rhyl.

20-10-1916: He forfeited 6 days’ pay for unauthorised absence between 15-10-16.

10-11-1916: He was transferred to the Class W Army Reserve so that he could take civilian employment on munitions work with Messrs. Workington Iron and Steel Co., Ltd., Moss Bay, Workington.

10-11-1916: He was transferred to the Class P Army Reserve under Authority of Army Council Instruction (A.C.I.) 550 of 1917.

15-5-1918: He was discharged under Paragraph 392 (xvi) of King’s Regulations (no longer physically fit for war service). He would have been awarded his Silver War Badge following this.

Here are some of the basic details. I'll have another look at the papers tomorrow and do an update.

8-9-1914: He enlisted at Manchester. He was living at 31, Lord Street, Gorton, Manchester. He was a Watchmaker.

8-9-1914: He was transferred to the Army Reserve the same day (sent home to await call up – they were probably inundated with new recruits and couldn't process them all).

22-9-14: He was mobilised into the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment at their Depot.

26-9-1914: He was posted to the newly-formed 9th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

23-6-1915: He forfeited 6 days' pay for unauthorised absence between 18-6-15 and 6.30 a.m. 23-6-15.

10-7-1915: He forfeited 8 days' pay for unauthorised absence between 2-7-15 and 12 noon 9-7-15.

24-7-1915: He forfeited 7 days' pay for unauthorised absence between 17-7-15 and 23-7-15.

25-9-1915: He landed in France at Boulogne with the rest of the battalion.

Subsequently wounded and shipped back to the UK.

28-6-1916: Admitted to Bradford War Hospital. For administration purposes he was classed as having been posted to the Regimental Depot.

26-8-1916: Released from hospital and posted to the Army Western Command Depot at Rhyl.

20-10-1916: He forfeited 6 days' pay for unauthorised absence between 15-10-16.

10-11-1916: He was transferred to the Class W Army Reserve so that he could take civilian employment on munitions work with Messrs. Workington Iron and Steel Co., Ltd., Moss Bay, Workington.

10-11-1916: He was transferred to the Class P Army Reserve under Authority of Army Council Instruction (A.C.I.) 550 of 1917.

15-5-1918: He was discharged under Paragraph 392 (xvi) of King's Regulations (no longer physically fit for war service). He would have been awarded his Silver War Badge following this.

Thank you very much,Regards Mark.

The 9th (Service) Battalion was formed in September 1914. They remained in training at various camps throughout England until the Autumn of 1915, at which time they were based at Aldershot.

On 24th September 1915, an advance party of the battalion, 3 officers and 109 OR, crossed from Southampton to Le Havre, with the remainder of the battalion embarking on the s.s. “St Seiriol” on the 25th from Folkstone to Boulogne.

They moved to the forward areas by way of Calais, St Omer, Hazebrouck, Ceastre, Strazelle and Bailleul, arriving at their billets at Armentieres on the 29th, where the advance parties rejoined the battalion.

They received instruction in trench warfare for a week and then on 6th October they marched to Le Bizet where they were held in reserve. They moved into the front line for the first tome on the 12th October, remaining there until the 20th. They lost four men killed and 5 wounded in that short period.

They remained in this sector for the remainder of the year, moving in between front line, reserve and support.

On 19th January 1916 they undertook their first offensive action of the war, supporting an attack on Le Touqet Salient. Although the operation was a success, the battalion had 16 men killed and wounded.

They spent the whole of February in Corps reserve at Steenewerck.

For the next three months they moved around with periods in the front line and stays in billets at Neuf Berquin, Ostreville, Tinques, Maiziere and Cambain l’Abbe. Casualties were numerous through this period.

At the beginning of June they were at Ostreville, where they remained for the first half of the month, then moved on to Warloy, about four miles behind the front line.

Clearly it’s impossible to say where Walter was wounded, but this should give you an idea of the area in which he was based throughout his time in France.

Further to Stephen's posting, here is a little extra from the War Diary..

On 5th March 1916 the Battalion moved to Neuf Berquin, on 9th March to St Hilaire, on 12th to Ostreville, on 17th to Tinques leaving to go to Maiziere on 11th April and on to Camblain L’Abbe on 22nd April 1916. Between 29th April and 3rd May 1916 the Battalion were in the trenches at Map Ref S15.a+c (Givinchy 1 to 10000) then relieved to Zouave Valley (I believe this is around Vimy). Back in the trenches at Q90 to Q93 (?) from 9th to 16th May 1916 when they were relived returning to Camblain Le Abbe. On 18th May they route marched to Bailleul Aux Cornailles and on to Ostreville on 19th May 1916.

On 14th June 1916 they were at Blangermont, on 15th June they moved to Mezerolles, on 18th to St Ledger, on 24th June to La Vicoqne, on 27th June to Mirvaux until arriving in Warloy on 30th June 1916.

Cheers

Mark