Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dulce et Decorum or The Old Lie ?

Clio

An interesting point, David - and one, being an atheist, I never even considered. My neglect in not considering religious undertones in "The Glorious Dead" is pretty remiss of me, given the fact that religion is frequently mentioned and/or used for imagery in much of the poetry of WW1. Its influence permeating all types and styles of Great War Poetry; used by many to provide convenient symbols of suffering and sacrifice, by others to place the war in a historical context, and used by some as a battering ram, to hurl conventional Sunday-morning Anglicanism at the bestialities of the front.

In our modern, mostly secular, world we tend to forget that religion was more relevant to many back then - I'm still fairly happy with my definition of "The Glorious Dead" but you have definitely given me something to ponder about the historical relevance of my own thoughts.

Cheers-salesie.

Oddly enough, Salesie, I've written you a pm which I've not yet sent, possibly for lack of time, but most likely for lack of courage. Anyway, here is a quote therefrom:

Possibly it is my deeply ingrained atheistic streak which suspects Kipling of imagining these people had all gone to some better place. Sensitivity for the beliefs of others prevented me from mentioning this on the ‘Dulce’ thread.

Oddly enough, Salesie, I've written you a pm which I've not yet sent, possibly for lack of time, but most likely for lack of courage. Anyway, here is a quote therefrom:

Possibly it is my deeply ingrained atheistic streak which suspects Kipling of imagining these people had all gone to some better place. Sensitivity for the beliefs of others prevented me from mentioning this on the ‘Dulce’ thread.

I'm not quite sure that I get the point of this particular post, Clutterbuck. Are you saying that in order to avoid the possibility of offending those of a religious persuasion, we should operate a form of self-censorship?

Cheers-salesie.

I'm not quite sure that I get the point of this particular post, Clutterbuck. Are you saying that in order to avoid the possibility of offending those of a religious persuasion, we should operate a form of self-censorship?

Cheers-salesie.

Exactly that.

Exactly that.

Thanks for the suggestion, Clutterbuck, but I can see no reason for applying any censorship, self or otherwise, to the subject matter of this thread - ineed, I view such a suggestion as being nothing short of a self-righteous attempt to stifle open debate.

Cheers-salesie.

Hi All

Just to say how much as a teacher of English I have enjoyed this thread. I never considered the possibility of irony in Horace's original work having to my shame never looked at it, although I have always understood that the quotation Owen uses comes from Horace's Odes and was unaware that there were two examples of it. I look forward to seeing how the students deal with the idea that "Horace could be a prime example of how literature, even by the same author in his own self-interest, can be a powerful tool when manipulated to suit even diametrically opposed causes." (thanks for that Salesie). I would like to thank David as well for the insight into the religious dimension to the inscription that I have to admit I have always been a little uncomfortable with.

Many Thanks

Danny

I would like to thank David as well for the insight into the religious dimension to the inscription that I have to admit I have always been a little uncomfortable with.

Many Thanks

Danny

Thank God...Whoops! At least I'm not the only one.