The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ghiranji Lal

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pals'

the following soldier was killed alongside my Great Uncle, any suggestions how I can find out more about him please? I cannot find an MIC for him, is this because he was Indian Royal Artillery?

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

Scottie.

Name: GHIRANJI LAL

Nationality: Indian

Regiment/Service: Indian Royal Artillery

Unit Text: 1st Sect. 4th Div. Ammunition Col.

Date of Death: 02/04/1918

Service No: 19552

Additional information: Son of Mam Raj, of Dudhawa, Bohan, Hoshiarpur, Punjab.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. E. 19.

Cemetery: ANZIN-ST. AUBIN BRITISH CEMETERY

I believe that the war diaries for Indian Army units are held in the India Office archive at the British Library. The only Indian MIC's held by the National Archives seem to relate to campaigns such as Afghanistan and North West Frontier 1919, if my memory serves.

War Diaries for Indian units are at Kew: I was looking a week or so back at some.

He certainly was, but I'm blowed if I can remember what he was looking at!

Incidentally, given the date of this chap's death, I suspect it is British War Diary anyway; by April '18, all Indian formations (not the same as units) had left: the two Cavalry Divisions went in the winter of '17/'18, and the infantry were long gone. If this bloke was in a Divisional Ammo Column, it must have been the British 4th Division.

High, Steve,

thank you for your interest, I am really confused (whats new!) with this as I have the war diary for the RFA for the day in question and it mentions him, my Great Uncle and three others by name as being killed by the same incoming shell, so I assumed he was just serving along side them. It also shows a number of Indian soldiers injured by the same shell as well!

They were in the 4th Ammo column!

Regards,

Scottie.