The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with photo identification

johnsammc

Can someone help with with this photo.A friend gave me it.Any info much appreciated

post-30786-1257883639.jpg

Hi johnsammc,

I think that if you could enlarge the picture, then someone may be able to identify the unit from the cap badges. Obviously has a 'Scottish Flavour' but could be one of several, including Canadian or South African?

As to where it was taken? that will be down to the real experts.

Robert

Despite the No. 10, I suspect we can discount Downing Street.

Possibly it refers to number 10 platoon of something.

Im having difficulty enlarging the photo.Not letting me upload.My friend got the photo in Ypres(bookshop at the Menin Gate).They seen it and as im Scottish they got it for me

John

Can someone help with with this photo.A friend gave me it.Any info much appreciated

post-30786-1257883639.jpg

Probably taken at Southampton prior to embarkation? London Scottish, Liverpool Scottish, any suggestions?

Robert

Difficult to say, but I'd suggest NOT London Jocks: looks like the kilt is tartan, and the glengarry seems to have a diced band. Does have a sort of territorial feel about it somehow.

Difficult to say, but I'd suggest NOT London Jocks: looks like the kilt is tartan, and the glengarry seems to have a diced band. Does have a sort of territorial feel about it somehow.

Steve,

You`re right.Def Tartan kilt and diced Glengarry.Thank for your help so far guys.A bit frustrating when someone gives you a photo and you dont know anything about it

John

The picture that I am seeing is too small to make out the dicing on the glengarys. If there is dicing I would suggest Gordon Highlanders because of the shape of the badge and the dark tartan. Is there any evidence of where the photograph was taken, e.g. a photographer's name on the back? Is there any chance of an enlargement?

The burly chap nearest the camera in the second row seems to have some sort of checked arm band or insignia on his upper left arm. Unless it's pixilation on the scan.

Peter

The picture that I am seeing is too small to make out the dicing on the glengarys. If there is dicing I would suggest Gordon Highlanders because of the shape of the badge and the dark tartan. Is there any evidence of where the photograph was taken, e.g. a photographer's name on the back? Is there any chance of an enlargement?

Im unable to enlarge the pic.If someone could pm me their email address i can send the scanned pic.Appreciate your help guys

John

Good evening,

It doesn't look too dissimilar to the Liverpool Scottish though:

troops2.jpg

The Glengarry badge is an elks head surrounded by a 3/4 wreath of laurels... thats the Gordon Highlanders.

Seph

The Glengarry badge is an elks head surrounded by a 3/4 wreath of laurels... thats the Gordon Highlanders.

Seph

I think I'm with Seph/High Wood on this. Gordons.

Argyll and Sutherland Hrs have different dicing on the glen - 3 rows of red, no dark in the middle and the badge shows larger and oval.

Also - the sgts closest to the camera show distinctive Gordons' double belled flashes in their hose tops.

I am going to suggest that the photo is post great war as it looks to me as though they have collar brasses on, not seen on Gordons pics during the war.

They are also wearing their puttees with hose in the "short" style - not particularly common in GW photos.

The man second from the camera in the rear rank (also a Sgt perhaps?) appears to have a lot of medal ribbons - I would guess a WWI trio plus....again suggesting post WWI to me.

Figure with his back to us still has a P08 belt on but I am thinking likely late 20s/early 30s picture.

Looks to be taken inside a large shed or hangar - perhaps prior to embarkation somewhere.

just my 2p

Chris