Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Bramble of Salford

timothybramble

Hi All,

I am trying to track down what part my great Grandfather played in the first World War...

I’ve tried searching the records on Ancestry with no luck; I do however believe these may be incomplete.

I thought I would try here to see if anyone might know or at least give me some idea to what regiment he might have been in. The details I have for him are below:

Name: William Bramble

Birth: 30 Jan 1888 in Brampton, London, England, However he was living in Pendleton, Lancashire, England in 1901 at the age of 13

Death: 22 Apr 1925 in Pendleton, Lancashire, England

He married Ellen Davies in Greater Manchester, Lancashire, England in Sept 1913

His father was John Bramble 1852 – 1917

His mother was Adelaide Jane Richardson 1864 – 1902

His occupation was tailor

Would love to hear off anyone who might be able to help,

Thanks for reading

B84

There are quite a few W BRAMBLEs on the Medal Cards, please post any further Christian names if he had any.It will whittle down the list !

Sotonmate

Edit: No W BRAMBLE in Service records or Pension records born in London 1888.

Hi Sotonmate, thanks for your reply, William never had a middle name, which unfortunately never helps the tracking process. I understand you must get lots of these requests on here and I really appreciate the help... thanks.

B84

Therefore I feel it is a bit of a lottery. There is nothing obvious to link him to a particular unit. If he volunteered (26 in 1914 so he could have) it might show a Regiment from his home area. If he was conscripted after 1915 he would join whatever Regiment he was sent to ! Anyway, I'll have a look and suggest something later. In the meantime you might like to consider seeing if he is on an Absent Voters List for 1918,where it will show his usual home address and what unit he was serving in at that time. Then you can work back and find his right Medal Card and begin to trace his war service.

Sotonmate

B84

There are seven to choose from,all William BRAMBLE with no second Christian names. I will list them so that you can work at them:

1) 809 and 730098 Royal Field Artillery. This one was Territorial Force,who entered France on 21.11.1915.

2) 24143 East Surrey Regiment and 43495 Bedfordshire Regiment.Joined after 1915,Discharged later as unfit (wounds or sickness) and issued with Silver War Badge.

3) 4973 and 27484 Notts and Derbys Regiment and 65694 Suffolk Regiment. Joined after 1915. Silver War Badge later,as above.

4) R4/069492 Army Service Corps. after Dec 1915.

5) 610902 British West Indies Regiment after 1915. (Discount NOTHING !),and,

6) 3818 Royal Flying Corps. Entered France 24.7.1915

You say he died in 1925. I wonder if it was as a result of war service,It might even be that he was one of the two here who were discharged with a Silver War Badge.

For your interest the double entries for Regiments was a common occurrence,often those taken out of the line due to wounds or sickness often came back to the next needy unit.

That's it,he's probably one of these. It is also possible that he was in the Army and stayed here in the UK,thus becoming entitled to no medals. You need to dig among the family where you've never dug before !

Good hunting !

Sotonmate

Hi,

Salford does have an Absent Voters List so, if he was still in uniform and abroad when it was compiled in early-1918 (?), then he should be listed on it - with his basic military details.

I don't know where you would access it but if no-one picks this up then suggest you start a new thread asking specifically about it. It's your best bet.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Hi,

As Andy suggests the Absent Voters List is you best bet, you will find these available at Salford Local History Library (after reading a thread on the Salford Forum I presume you are able to visit).

Best of luck.

Garry

Thanks Gary. :)

Another suggestion is: if he had any children born during the war - when he was on active service - then their Birth Certificate(s) should give his military details too.

Andy.

Thanks guys, unfortunately I can’t make it to the Salford Local History Museum as I have recently moved to Canada, so maybe I will be able to find an absence voters list online, if not ill check in February when I am back in the UK.

Thanks your help, you have given me a couple of good avenues to go down, hopefully these will be successful .

Bramble,

Called at the Library tonight (open late Wednesdays). Could not find William, not all men were listed in the AVLs, or I may not have spotted him, so do not take that as an indication that he didn't serve. I did find the following people listed all tailors with Hy Bramble & Sons, 61 Broad St

Alfred Bramble 401526 Labour Co

Arthur Bramble 275755 8th Manchesters

Alfred Septimus Bramble 275785 8th Manchesters

Clifton Bramble 275654 2/7th Manchesters

May be relatives?

Regards,

Garry

Thanks Shred, I really appreciate you taking the time to check for me... I am amazed by how helpfully everyone is here!

Yeah, looking at my tree I believe these would have been Williams’s cousins

I am going to request some old birth certificates to see if they are any help to me as he did have a daughter born during the war.

Thanks again everyon,e you have been a great help!