Free downloads from TNA Ă—
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualty William Henry Clark RFC

KIRKY

I am trying to find any detals of above named killed in WW1. His number was 5859. Have the Death Plaque but this shows Henry Clark . HIs medals also show H Clark.

Any one help?

Tony

I am trying to find any detals of above named killed in WW1. His number was 5859. Have the Death Plaque but this shows Henry Clark . HIs medals also show H Clark.

Any one help?

Tony

Tony,

P.M. Fellow South Staffs Pal Neil, he has my copy of 'Airmen Died' which may well give you chapter and verse.

Roy

Does Airmen died give any more info than CWGC?

Name: CLARK

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Unit Text: 48th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 27/09/1917

Service No: 5859

Additional information: Son of William Henry and Margaret Clark, of 24, Caroline St., Hetton-le-Hole, Co. Durham.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 15.

Cemetery: ZUYDCOOTE MILITARY CEMETERY

Does Airmen died give any more info than CWGC?

Quite probably. Frequently there is info on the aeroplane(s) involved (type and number) as well as the circumstances of the death.

Roy

Mick/Roy, that is exactly what I wanted! I have been searching Ancestry all afternoon and got nothing, well done, I can pass this on to his relative,

Tony

Are you sure that he was William Henry Clark?

Airmen says that 5859 Clark was a pilot in 48 Sqn. Native of Hutton-le-Hole Co Durham. KIA 27/9/17.

There was also Lt William Henry Clarke who was later an Ace.

Many of the combat reports for 48 Sqn (Bristol Fighters) have been stolen.

There may be records for Henry in AIR 79/77; service numbers 5851 - 5930. The 1914 Star roll might give his unit with the RAMC, he transferred into the RFC in 1915.

I'm not so sure he was William Henry. His father was William Henry, and you don't often see both first and second names replicated in that way.

Also, the 1911 census doesn't throw up a suitable "William Henry" candidate in the Durham area.

Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificate 3783 is for Sgt Henry Clark RFC from Hetton-le-Hole (?sic), Dob 26 January 1893.

Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificate 3783 is for Sgt Henry Clark RFC from Hetton-le-Hole (?sic), Dob 26 January 1893.

Yes that is him, I have seen the Certifcate with his photo in!

Tony

Taken at the Military School, Turnhouse on a Maurice Farnham; 26/10/16.

Hi the photo I have seen is a portrait, is the photo you mention available?

Tony

Hetton-le-Hole is correct. Caroline Street is a 600 yard long terraced street, typical of local mining villages (Hetton's 4 miles from my home - I drank in the eponymous Caroline pub as a 16 year old). Sgt Henry Clark went down in flames in BF A7150 with Bombardier EA Nash, who was fatally wounded. The machine must have come down on the British side of the lines; the wreckage went to 1 AD on 1.10.17 and the machine was struck off RFC charge four days later.