Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N.Z.E.F.

I have a couple of World War 1 medals to a soldier in the N.Z.E.F. would someone know what the initials stand for? Is it the New Zealand Experdition Force?

Thanks for any help

HI - any name for this soldier? He probably was part of the famous ANZACs.

Des

New Zealand Expeditionary Force. Do you know his name?

Happy Birthday :D

Thanks for your answers, his name was Pte. R. King, I also have his Victory Medal.And while I'm at it, I have another I dont know what unit or regiment it is, its to a Sergeant W.W.Keay of the S.A.S.C. would you know what S.A.S.C. stands for?

There are 1 Randolph, 3 Richards, 6 Roberts, 2 Rolands, and a Roy King plus a whole lot who are R.?. King. in the NZEF

Any number?

I realise now I should have given out more information on this individual. His regimental number is 3/1524

Thanks so much for your interest and help

I have looked through the 727 Kings on the CD rom, and not one of them has that number or anything like it, definitely no R Kings. Are you sure that those are the correct name, number, war and country?

I appreciate your interest in this individual very much, but all I have is what is stamped on both medals., which is: 3/1524 Pte. R. King N.Z.E.F. :(

He could have been a later enlistment. I'll check the actual NZEF embarkation rolls when I get a chance, which won't be for a few days

I appreciate very much all the effort you are putting into finding out more of this individuals war record.

Sincerely, Montague 22402947

Found him!

3/1524 Richard King roll 21 page 38 NZ Medical Corps

hospital attendant, No 1 Stationary Hospital

nok Mrs Charles Morgan -sister, Porirua, Wellington

Eliizabeth Oregon King married Charles Ernest Morgan 1904

Charles Ernest Morgan -

Wellington Suburbs Electoral Roll 1919

Richard King-

Wellington Suburbs Supplementary Electoral Roll 1919

Thanks for your answers, his name was Pte. R. King, I also have his Victory Medal.And while I'm at it, I have another I dont know what unit or regiment it is, its to a Sergeant W.W.Keay of the S.A.S.C. would you know what S.A.S.C. stands for?

ASC is almost certainly Army Service Corps as to the 'S' not sure.

John

Thankyou so much christine liava'a for the invaluable information you gave me concerning Richard King. I will add this information to the two medals I have of his.

Thankyou also to Raster Scanning, I will tru to figure out what the "S" on S.A.S.C. means, at least thanks to you I have something to go on.

Sincerely, Montague Chapin

The S of the SASC denotes that it is Supply Corps i.e. Supply Army Service Corps.

Regards

John

Thanks Johnreed for telling me what the "S" means, now I have the whole story of what S.A.S.C. means.

Montague Chapin

No 1 NZ Stationary Hospital was a unit raised in NZ during the Gallipoli campaign. It was based at Port Said in Egypt.

No. 1 Stationary Hospital despatched 21 May, 1915

8 officers 86 other ranks total 94

The No 1. New Zealand Stationary Hospital NZMC

Organised at Trentham Camp, Wellington with Lt Col. D.T. McGavin as commanding officer and Acting Matron Marie Cameron as senior NZ Army Nursing Service (NZANS) and was initially stationed at Port Said as a five hundred bed convalescent hospital under canvas, receiving casualties from Gallipoli, including Bernard Freyberg. The hospital was loaded on to a special train and arrived at Alexandria at 0300 and loaded on the Marquette, headed to service British troops at Salonika, in Greece. When the transport ship Marquette was torpedoed in the Gulf of Salonika, several members of the unit were lost. The hospital staff returned to Alexandria on Oct. 29, were re-equipped and returned to Salonika during the winter of 1915-16 without the NZANS staff, then joined the New Zealand Division at El Moascar on the Suez Canal. It followed the division to France and was stationed at Amiens behind the Somme front.

Montague,

SASC = South African Service Corps, ie the South African army's version of the British ASC.

The Victory Medal should have the 'bi-lingual' reverse.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

I obtained my information Re: SASC from "A Dictionary of Great War Abbreviations" by Howard Williamson on Page 109.

Regards

John

Thankyou everyone for your continued information regarding the two medals to Richard King of the NZEF, and the S.A.S.C. information.

To smith565, the Victory Medals is the British issue, its not the South African version.

Many thanks. Montague