Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CANADA CALLING - WE NEED YOUR HELP!

laughton

Over here on this side of the pond we are in the midst of a campaign to save and memorialize the home of General Sir Arthur Currie, our man who led the Canadian Expeditionary Force through its trials and tribulations in the later stages of the Great War.

If you could lend us a hand, we need to demonstrate that this is a project that is worthy of international recognition and so we would appreciate it if our PALS around the world could take a few minutes to sign up, log in and vote in favour of this project. There are only those of us at the GWF and the CEFSG that are working hard to preserve such places of significance, so we do appreciate your support.

Here is the web site to register and cast your vote - and if you have a few extra moments, please do register your comments from the international sites - that might just catch their attention. Once you register you can vote EVERY DAY so whatever you can do would be most appreciated.

http://www.avivacommunityfund.org/ideas/acf1114

2010 is the 150th Anniversary of the Town of Strathroy and it is our goal to raise a statue to General Sir Arthur Currie. Currie was born at Napperton Ontario in 1875. He was educated in Strathroy Ontario and left to teach in British Columbia. He later became an insurance and real estate broker in Victoria. He also became L Col of the 50th Gordon Highlanders. Picked to command the 2nd Infantry Brigade in Valcartier at the beginning of WW1, he eventually led the Canadian Corps to achieve great things for Canada and the Allies. As Granatstein has said, he was Canada's greatest general. He was knighted by King George on the battlefield in 1917. Post war he was principal of McGill University and was responsible for its rejuvenation in the 1920's and 1930's. Aside from the Legion being known as the Sir Arthur Currie Legion and the history room at the high school known as the Currie Room, no formal recognition of this exemplary Canadian has ever been made in his home town. Support from the Legion and town council has been forthcoming. Your contribution to this project, would not only raise awareness of Currie's great contribution to Canada, but serve as an inspiration to Canadians to persevere, to be considerate of their fellows and that determination can achieve greatness.

GSAC-2.jpg

Hello Richard;

This is the first I've heard of this as I haven't been as regular a visitor to the CEFSG as I have been here.

A fantastic idea, and I hope it comes to fruition.

Hopefully some more GWF members will see this and vote as well.

My vote has gone off.

George

Will do.

Let's keep this going, lads.

We can do better than four replies/votes.

Remember you can vote more than once. I believe, though,m you are limited to voting once a day per email address

(Although this way does smack of "stuffing the voter's box" similar to voting for your favourite Major League Baseball star over here)

George

voted from belgium

kind regards

sabine

Just came away from checking the Memorial site, there are only 394 votes.

Please remember Forum Pals that you can vote once each and every day!

Please help us Canucks do this!

George

• 10 months later...

The General Sir Arthur Currie Memorial Project - Honoring Canada's Greatest General

The General Sir Arthur Currie Memorial Project was started to raise a statue of the General in his boyhood home town of Strathroy Ontario. It is supported by the Town of Strathroy Caradoc, The Sir Arthur Currie Legion #116, Museum Strathroy Caradoc and various private and corporate sponsors. The website contains the start of a collection of material on General Currie. [CEF Study Group - Oct 2010]

http://curriememorialproject.tripod.com/