Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

77mm German Light Artilley Gun.

drumberny

I work as a volunteer in Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Museum in Enniskillen, Northern Ireland.

Our museum has on display a 77mm. German light artillery gun which was captured by the regiment in 1918. In 1919, the Royal Gun Factory at Woolwich converted the gun by attaching it to a fixed base plate and adding a sighting mechanism. I understand it was used during WW11 as a naval coastal defence gun. After the war the gun went to the depot barracks of the Inniskillings in Omagh. Recently this barracks was closed down and the gun came to our museum.

I have begun some conservation work on the gun and have unearthed some of the bronze work including 2 bronze plates which were affixed by RGF. One plate shows 'reg. no. 40' which would suggest the gun was one of a series of such guns which were converted, indeed I found a photo of an similarly converted gun at a war memorial in Mannum, South Australia.

I attach a photo of the gun and hope that someone can enlighten me further or can point me in the right direction to find more info.

Clive Johnston.

I think you are posting to the wrong part of the forum - I'd suggest paraphernalia. Perhaps if you deleted this and reposted there you'd get a better response (or perhaps one of the mods could move it for you .BTW you picture doesn't show - I think you need to have done more posts to be able to do this.

I think you are posting to the wrong part of the forum - I'd suggest paraphernalia. Perhaps if you deleted this and reposted there you'd get a better response (or perhaps one of the mods could move it for you .BTW you picture doesn't show - I think you need to have done more posts to be able to do this.