Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sir Hubert Gough's Grave

ianw

Gough is buried in Camberley churchyard. Unfortunately this is a big churchyard and I was not able to find him during a rather brief visit. Has anyone visited his grave and thereby have any idea of it's position ?

The churchyard is within earshot of the rifle training areas near Aldershot and volleys can be heard from there. A good location for an old soldier.

Ian

I have never managed to get to Camberley but would very much like a photo of General Sir Hubert de la Poer Gough's grave there, if you are lucky.

Meanwhile, if you are interested in the General and his Fifth Army, here are two memorials that you may not have seen in St Peter's Cornhill in the City of London.

kind regards

post-1-1083432720.jpg

Ian

This is a most beautiful window in St Peter's commemorating the fallen of the Fifth Army.

post-1-1083432848.jpg

Wonderful pictures ... thanks! Can anyone go through the symbolism of hte lower section of the window? I can only make wild guesses ...

Chris,

Thanks for the info about Cornhill. I will most certainly send you a picture if I can find the grave.

Andy

The text is "Give peace in our time O Lord, for there is none other that fighteth for us"

Either side of the white cliffs of Dover it looks like St Paul's Cathedral in London on the left and (?) buildings of Ypres or Amiens on the right.

The red fox was the insignia of the Fifth Army.

The Fifth Army was the only WW1 Army to have an Old Comrades Association - not formed until 1932 - who originally collected money to endow a hospital ward for the treatment of their veterans. For various reasons that didn't happen so there was money available to pay for this window. Gen Gough was very keen to ensure that there was a memorial to his men.

Best wishes

Yes, I think both Gough and his Army were unfairly criticised for their performance in March 1918. If I can find his grave, I will take my shears with me as I presume it will be in a neglected state. I hope I am proved wrong of course.

Andy

The text is "Give peace in our time O Lord, for there is none other that fighteth for us"

Either side of the white cliffs of Dover it looks like St Paul's Cathedral in London on the left and (?) buildings of Ypres or Amiens on the right.

The red fox was the insignia of the Fifth Army.

The Fifth Army was the only WW1 Army to have an Old Comrades Association - not formed until 1932 - who originally collected money to endow a hospital ward for the treatment of their veterans. For various reasons that didn't happen so there was money available to pay for this window. Gen Gough was very keen to ensure that there was a memorial to his men.

Best wishes

True to PAL tradition ... a wonderful answer right on the button. Thanks!