The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter H. Thompson

liverpool annie

Can anybody tell me if Walter H. Thompson, Winston Churchill's bodyguard from 1921 to 1945 - served in WW1 please ?

I'm wondering if he was exempt !

Thanking you in advance

Annie :)

Hi Annie, I expect you have seen this link, but here goes anyway......

http://uktv.co.uk/yesterday/item/aid/536290

(up until I found it I was looking as Service Records and found an interesting one of a chap Walter Herbert Thompson deserted, conditionally discharged - no info available on either the court martial paper or punishment records - just blank pages )

However, once I looked at the link I realised no go. I imagine he was exempt, but it would be interesting to find out more. Not sure what date the link is but it looks as if Sky 537 are due to do a bio. on 21st November at 9pm (not sure if it was last year!!! or what year).....

Susan.

Thanks Susan ... yes I saw that !

I got a Christmas catalogue in the mail yesterday and they were selling the DVD set .... but I saw the book advertised on the "big river " :rolleyes: ... I think I'll get it !

It kind of shocked me that he was only paid 5 quid a week !!! :unsure:

I read the job stressed him out .... just shows that a policemans life is not always a happy one !!

Annie :)

That's true Annie. Somewhere I read he had worked for another high powered person before Churchill. And he seemed a very difficult man....... as you say

a Policeman's lot is not a.......

Susan.