Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Percy W Simms, Coldstream Guards

high wood

I bought this flask this morning for £1 thinking that it might be Great War vintage. I am pleased to discover that it belonged to 556 Pte Percy W Simms of the Coldstream Guards. The aluminium flask is about the size of a hip flask and has P.W. Simms engraved above a Coldstream Guards badge and their motto Nulli Secundus. Beneath that the names France and Belgium are engraved.

Can anyone tell me anything about Percy W Simms please?

post-6480-1257610457.jpg

Ancestry has 15 pages of Pension records -

Name: Percy William Simms

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878

Age at Enlistment: 18

Birth Parish: Hook In Norton

Birth County: Oxford

[Norton]

Document Year: 1896

Regimental Number: 556

Number of Images: 15

John

HW

No service record on Ancestry UK but probably will be one at Wellington Barracks.

Sotonmate

Enlisted 1896 and served in SA as well as WW1.

PM me your email address and I'll download the docs and send them on if you want.

Won't be today though as there is a pint waiting for me now at the local :D

John

Here he is on 1881 census;

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability

Henry SIMMS Head M Male 36 Barton, Warwick, England Farmer Of 100 Acres

Emma SIMMS Wife M Female 34 Hook Norton, Oxford, England Farmers Wife

Mary E. SIMMS Daur Female 11 Cherington, Warwick, England Scholar

Henry R. SIMMS Son Male 9 Campden, Gloucester, England Scholar

Annie W. SIMMS Daur Female 4 Campden, Gloucester, England Scholar

Percy W. SIMMS Son Male 2 Hook Norton, Oxford, England ((Scholar))

Rose HARRISON Ser U Female 21 Newbold, Worcester, England Dom Ser

George PITTAWAY Ser U Male 18 Swerford, Oxford, England Farm Ser (Indoor)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Information:

Census Place Long Compton, Warwick, England

Family History Library Film 1341367

Public Records Office Reference RG11

Piece / Folio 1520 / 124

Page Number 2

Two servants. Very nice too.

IPT

Boer War Queens South Africa medal bars Joburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast, Cape Colony and Orange Free State

LSGC medal recommended on 1st July 1916 of all days

in 1937 was living at

6 Vicarge Lane

Clewer

Windsor

(taken from roll of those who advised RHQ that still alive in 1937!)

Thanks to John for the papers and Coldstreamer for the added information.

Percy William Simms married in the parish church at Holmwood, Surrey, very near to Dorking. He went out to France on 12th August 1914 with the 2nd battalion so he was probably at Landrecies and Villers-Cotterets in August - September. He was back in England by 10th March 1915 and did not return to France until 18th October 1916 therefore he wasn't at the Battle of Loos or available for most of the Battle of the Somme, which probably accounts for his survival. It seems that in later life he was a warder at Windsor Castle.

I am proud to be the custodian of his hip flask.

may be entitled to coronation / jubilee medals as well

• 1 year later...

He is my grandfather and I am researching my ancestors as I am writing a book on them. I have now got to my grandparents - he married Florence Spencer at Holmwood in 21 JUne 1910. They had 556 children and my father Eric was the middle one My name is Jane Simms. Would you be willing to sell me this flask. We have a lovely portrait of my grandfather in his uniform. I will try and take of photo of it and download it. I was only 10 when he died so I don't remember too much about him - he died in 1961. Gosh I did find this website difficult. Please can anyone email me on jaynesimms AT btinternet.com as I would love to know more about my grandfather. Many thanks

Jane.

The Pals will help you in the forum. Take your time, you need to post/reply to 5 or more times to get personal messages etc. Scan your picture and use http://photobucket.com/ or some other site to put your picture up.

We all started at the begining lol.

Hope this helps?

Simon.

He is my grandfather and I am researching my ancestors as I am writing a book on them. I have now got to my grandparents - he married Florence Spencer at Holmwood in 21 JUne 1910. They had 556 children and my father Eric was the middle one My name is Jane Simms. Would you be willing to sell me this flask. We have a lovely portrait of my grandfather in his uniform. I will try and take of photo of it and download it. I was only 10 when he died so I don't remember too much about him - he died in 1961. Gosh I did find this website difficult. Please can anyone email me on jaynesimms AT btinternet.com as I would love to know more about my grandfather. Many thanks

They certainly had a lot of children, 556 !!!

• 7 years later...

I am not sure whether you remember me but I am the grandaughter of Percy William Simms and I was wondering if you could do me a favour?  If you still have Percy's flask would you be so kind as to take a photo of the front or back where his name is displayed for me?  My grandson is doing a project on a soldier of WWI and I thought it would be nice if he could include a picture of the flask.  Sadly we have no medals or anything except a few photos of his 23 years service  in the Coldstream Guards - someone along the family line thought they weren't worth keeping - poor old boy.  I know this is a longshot request but I thought it well worth a post and would be ever so appreciative.  If you do ready this can you email me on jayne  simms   @btinternet.com many thanks Jayne

Jayne - I suggest that you send a personal message to Highwood.  That will generate an email to him. Just hover your cursor over his name.

I'll check to see if I've seen them for sale in my records