Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th [Armoured car ] Tank Battalion

barkalotloudly

A very interesting little book containing a full account of the battalions actions in 1918 {formed on the 18th april}list of officers who served, honours and awards as well as a list of casualties If anybody wants information please let me know

best regards John

I am interesteed to know if it mentions II Lt Walter Bradley?

Thanks

A very interesting little book containing a full account of the battalions actions in 1918 {formed on the 18th april}list of officers who served, honours and awards as well as a list of casualties If anybody wants information please let me know

best regards John

not mentioned in the lists of officers etc i will have a look at the text to see if he is mentioned there.

regards John

Simon,

Book published by Gale and Poulden. Your man is mentioned in Appendix III as proceeding overseas with the battalion and commanding 3 section of A Coy. He is also shown as having served with the Worcester Yeomanry and Lord Strathcona's Horse. Further shown as being wounded (remained on duty) on 8th August 1918 and being wounded again on 2nd September 1918.

What's your interest? I assume you have his medals?

Tanks3

John

Does it mention Lt C A Blencowe and who published the book?

Simon :whistle:

gale and polden 1919 a very seldom seen book

regards john

Tanks3

Thanks for that. Yes I have the medals. He was also in E Batt Tank Corps and his tank was called the EXECUTIONER and he was wounded in action with them at Cambrai. Didn't know about the Lord Strathcona's Horse bit.

Thks

Simon :whistle:

• 5 years later...

Would be very interested in any mention of Captain Walter Edmund BOUCHER who won his DSO with the 17th on the 8th August 1918; he was formerly 2/7th Worcesters.

W E Boucher is mentioned in the 17th Bn War Diary. He was B Coy Comd. I also seem to have him listed as a Coy Comd in A Bn in Aug 18 so something is amiss in my records. The 1st Bn history also has him with them in 1918.

He wasn't the only Boucher in the Tank Corps. There was a Capt R E Boucher in D Bn in 1917 and who was also a staff Capt in 2nd Tank Bde. And there was a Pte Thomas Walter Guy Boucher in B Bn and was killed at Cambrai.

Great DSO citation:

Boucher DSO.pdf

I have just checked the Tank Corps Book of Honour which says that he got the MC for that action.

Oops - 'recommended' not 'awarded'- my bad!

Great DSO citation:

Simon,

That document refers to a ' Recommendation ' for the award of a D.S.O., and there is no record in the D.S.O. Recipient's Book of a D.S.O. being awarded to a Capt. Boucher, so perhaps whilst he was recommended for a D.S.O., it was not approved, despite his brave actions.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

Yes WE Boucher got an MC LG 01/02/1919

Is there anything on ORs ? :-

205225 RP Beesley MM

76500 R Daniel MM

Neither are mentioned in the War Diary. Both are of course mentioned in the Book of Honour.