Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment Identification

smithjayne1

Hello,

This is my first post. I am putting together my family tree and researching my (English) relatives who served in the first world war.

I am looking for help to identify the uniform worn by the person in the portrait and in the group photo. Can anyone confirm the the regiment and battalion of this person? I also added a third photo with cap badge but unfortunately it is not very clear.

I believe that the photos were taken during WWI. The person may be my great uncle, Ernest Archibald Smith, who served in the London Regiment, 1st (City of London) battalion (Royal Fusiliers) and was killed in action in October 1916.

Thank you for your assistance.

post-50872-1257530404.jpg post-50872-1257530490.jpg post-50872-1257531333.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The top photos are of men in 'hospital blues' the service uniform of men recovering from wounds etc - blue jacket, red tie, white shirt. Lower photo cap def Royal Fusilier.

David

Name: Ernest Archibald Smith

Residence: Bromley

Death Date: 8 Oct 1916

Enlistment Location: Sydenham

Regiment: London Regiment

Battalion: 1st (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers).

Number: 8047

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: France

Comments: Formerly 2697, R.W. Kent Regt.

Hello David, Thank you very much for your very fast and helpful response!

I also found the information that you have appended in 'WW1 British Army service records', via the ancestry.co.uk site. I had hoped to find more but unfortunately there are hundreds of E. Smiths in there!

Thought you might be interested to see the full picture of Ernest in hospital blues with cap badge. The strange motorcyle has a UK registration plate which would indicate that he was convalescing in England.

Jayne

post-50872-1257585794.jpg

Hi Jayne,

Before you offend any other Triumph owners the "strange" looking motorcycle appears to be a Model H 550cc Triumph motorcycle. The sidecar is a wicker chair.

Great photo by the way.

One of the UK boys may be able to tell you which county the first two letters of the plate indicate.

Regards,

Scott

(strange motorcycle owner, although a little later bike)