Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/1st Hertfordshire Regiment

MelPack

Could anyone tell me where the 1/1st Herts were on the 20 July 1916?

I know that they were part of the 118th Brigade of the 39th Division and had taken a bit of a mauling at Richebourg at the end of June. I am uncertain as to whether the Division had been redeployed to the Somme at this juncture.

Thanks

Mel

Mel

According to Westlake they did not reach the Somme until towards the end of August 1916.

Peter

Mel,

Westlake's "British Battalions on the Somme" has the 1/1st Hertfordshire's arriving at Grouches on the 24th August 1916.

As to there whereabouts in July I'm afraid I cant help.

regards Stuart

Peter & Stuart

Thanks for the confirmation about the Somme. I am pretty certain that the Division was picking up the pieces around the Richebourg area but where?

Mel

Could anyone tell me where the 1/1st Herts were on the 20 July 1916?

I know that they were part of the 118th Brigade of the 39th Division and had taken a bit of a mauling at Richebourg at the end of June. I am uncertain as to whether the Division had been redeployed to the Somme at this juncture.

Thanks

Mel

Got a Sergeant in the 1st. amongst my Maldon men - Abbott, Freer (2625). Served from 6/11/14 and died of wounds on 6/10/16. Burried at Doullens. Also have a Private in the 1st. - Appleby, Claude William (269374) who was kia 14/1/17 and is in Vlamertinghe Military Cemetery.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

• 4 months later...
Guest eleanorwebb@hotmail.com

Have you read "22 months under fire" which is the 'diary' of Henry Page-Croft? He doesn't give many dates but....

My Grandfather (Bruce Ormerod 2737) was with the 1/1st Herts too arriving in France 6/11/1914 and discharged through wounds on 2 Oct 1916 so would also be interested in where they were.

I have just come across some photos of the 1/1st Herts amongst my uncle's album. I'm in the process of scanning and re-touching but will try to put them on here and the Bedforshire Regiment website too.

I have just come across some photos of the 1/1st Herts amongst my uncle's album. I'm in the process of scanning and re-touching but will try to put them on here and the Bedforshire Regiment website too.

Eleanor

Would love to see any photos of Herts Reg :D

Glyn

Peter & Stuart

Thanks for the confirmation about the Somme. I am pretty certain that the Division was picking up the pieces around the Richebourg area but where?

Mel

The 1/1st Herts were brigaded with the 4/5th Black Watch, 1/6th Cheshires & the 1/1st Cambridgeshires. Neither the Herts nor the Black Watch histories mention any detail around that date, but there is some light shed in the Cambridgeshires (My copy of the 6th Cheshires is under a heap of books and paper somewhers, so someone might be able to give more info there)

During June and July the Brigade was in the Givenchy, Festubert or Ferme du Bois sectors holding sandbag forts and the Village line; 3 days in the forts and 3 in the Village line was the routine.

Neither side disturbed the front line forts for fear of retaliation, knowing that they could easily be obliterated by a fairly short, intensive burst of shelling. Belgian civilians lived within a mile of the front line, a few hundred yards from the Village line and Gorre seemed to be a Divisional/Corps HQ