Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Favourite titles

speake

A question for the Pals: What is your favourite Great War memoir/diary that is still in print? I'd like to add to my bookcase but not sure which ones to choose—I certainly don't want to get one like that fabricated ramblings of the gay soldier (Queen's Lancers?) that was discussed recently. Which one is the most accurate, poignant, and memorable to you?

A question for the Pals: What is your favourite Great War memoir/diary that is still in print? I'd like to add to my bookcase but not sure which ones to choose—I certainly don't want to get one like that fabricated ramblings of the gay soldier (Queen's Lancers?) that was discussed recently. Which one is the most accurate, poignant, and memorable to you?

Sean,

While this is subject to change my favorite memoir as of this time is Suddenly We Didn't Want to Die: Memoirs of a World War I Marine by Elton Mackin.

Cheers

Bill M.

Whilst not necessarily still in print, but copies readily available, Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain, not just poignant, more heart-rending

Regards

Martin

'Green Balls' is not in print I believe, but probably the most widely available of the ones on my bookshelf - a really good first hand account of night bombing with a Handley Page Squadron in the RNAS. Unfortunatey, most of the good memoirs of fighting in the air are well out of print - usually the rarer/more expensive the better!