Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 medals

moonlightmaggie

daft question but has anyone got acopy of the letter that would have accompanied a medal.what would it have said?

Record Office No 2 Dist. Hamilton 24th February 1920

Sir,

I am directed to transmit to you the accompanying "1914 Star" which would have been conferred upon No 20 Corpl G. Souness Royal Scots had he lived.It is now sent to you in memory of his services with the British Expeditionary Forces employed in France and Belgium between the outbreak of war and midnight,22/23rd November,1914.

In forwarding this decoration I am commanded by the King to assure you of His Majesty's high appreciation of the services rendered.

I am to request that you will be so good as to acknowledge the receipt of the decoration on the attached form, which is to be returned to the above address.

I am,

Your obedient Servant

for Lieut.Col.

i/c Records

thanks very very formal..i appreciate you posting it

Record Office No 2 Dist. Hamilton 24th February 1920

Sir,

I am directed to transmit to you the accompanying "1914 Star" which would have been conferred upon No 20 Corpl G. Souness Royal Scots had he lived.It is now sent to you in memory of his services with the British Expeditionary Forces employed in France and Belgium between the outbreak of war and midnight,22/23rd November,1914.

In forwarding this decoration I am commanded by the King to assure you of His Majesty's high appreciation of the services rendered.

I am to request that you will be so good as to acknowledge the receipt of the decoration on the attached form, which is to be returned to the above address.

I am,

Your obedient Servant

for Lieut.Col.

i/c Records