Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified shell from Thames Estuary

AshtonPete

I went on a trip today to Shropshire and the guy there had the shell in the pic, he could not identify it, so I volunteered to put it on here, all he could tell me is that it was dug out of the Thames Estuary and that he thinks it might be French made. I don't have a clue, but he appreciates me putting on the GWF for a possible identification.

Thanks

PHOTO HERE

• 2 weeks later...

This is a French artillery fuze, more commonly known as a 'Beehive' fuxe. There are 2 main types. The smaller verion was for field guns with ranges up to about 8000 metres, and a larger type used for longer range guns and anti aircraft use. This latter type is the one your friend has.

John

Hello,

Does anyone know if these fuses were used by British artillery as anti Zeppelin weapons, or did a French gunner forget which side he was on.

Old Tom

The British used the French 75mm as an anti aircraft gun against the Zeppelin raids, having no suitable weapon of their own. These were only used in the London area as far as I am aware. A likely explanation is that it could have come from the testing ranges at Shoebury, where in the Thames estuary was it found?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Does anyone know if these fuses were used by British artillery as anti Zeppelin weapons, or did a French gunner forget which side he was on.

Old Tom

I have tossed a few fuses into rivers in my time...

Maybe a tourist on his way back from Verdun? ;-)