Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbreviation 'A.M.'

daggers

The CWGC record for an officer shows he had a DSO, also 'A.M.' Can anyone explain please?

The citation for the DSO is set out in full on the record but I have saved space here.

McMAHON, MAURICE

Lieut-Commander

Royal Naval Reserve

H.M.S. President

25/10/1919

D S O, A M

Thanks in advance

D

From the Melbourne Argus, 7th February 1918.

Officer Faced Death.

Archangel Explosion Incident.

The Albert Medal has been awarded by King George to Lieutenant-Commander Maurice McMahon. During a series of fires and explosions at Archangel (Northern Russia) cries were heard from a floating crane moored alongside the steamship Earl of Forfar, which was on fire, and had explosives aboard that were intermittently exploding. McMahon crossed to the Earl of Forfar, and found the mate, with two limbs broken, on the burning forecastle. He rescued him, and then rushed on to the crane by means of a single plank and rescued the carpenter and two Russians. Other rescue parties had previously decided that it was impossible to save the men.

Article is available here.... http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/1638012

Regards

Steve

Steve

Thanks for that detail. I had thought the LG citation quoted by CWGC was for the DSO but it is for the Albert Medal. The DSO must have come later as it is not referred to in the LG, but I have not tracked it down yet, nor in the Times archive.

It is strange how one can get lost in the searches in LG, even knowing the date, name etc.

D

He was one of fifteen naval officers gazetted for the DSO on 4th June 1917, "In recognition of their services in the prosecution of the war".

MACMAHON, MAURICE, Acting Lieut.-Commander, R.N.R.

David.

The records for the award of the Albert Medal are held at the National Archives in the HO 45 (Home Office) series of files. They also include refusals.

TR

The recommendation file for the DSO might be found using the ADM 12 indexes at Kew. Here's a thread I wrote earlier: