Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Austn War Workers Badge for Navvies in England

dsquared

My grandfather went to England as a navvy in a factory in Liverpool having been rejected for bad eyesight from the AIF. I have heard of the Australian War Workers Badge but I have never found one for sale on eBay etc and I would like to have one for sentimental reasons. I think they may have been numbered like the Silver War Badge but am not sure about this. I have tried to buy one at Christies the replica medal place in Sydney but they don't have them.

Does anyone know what I am talking about or where I can locate one?

Thanks

Donna :rolleyes:

My grandfather went to England as a navvy in a factory in Liverpool having been rejected for bad eyesight from the AIF. I have heard of the Australian War Workers Badge but I have never found one for sale on eBay etc and I would like to have one for sentimental reasons. I think they may have been numbered like the Silver War Badge but am not sure about this. I have tried to buy one at Christies the replica medal place in Sydney but they don't have them.

Does anyone know what I am talking about or where I can locate one?

Thanks

Donna :rolleyes:

Hi Donna. A navvy was a man who worked on the roads at the time of the Great War. Originally a labourer on canals ( navigator) then railways. So, he either worked in a factory or he was a navvy. If he was working in Liverpool, I suspect he would have a SWB.