Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The UK officially praises some great local people here in Belgium.

chrislock

Hi Guys.

All this talk of congratulations to people over here in Ieper and the surrounding villages, requires me to blow the trumpet on behalf of others who make no noise and achieve great things with respect and dignity.

Well today they are to get their just rewards:

Tonight I have been instructed to deliver the Tank Memorial Ypres Salient Committee members to Brussels. They have been invited as personal guests of the British Ambassador to Belgium on behalf of the British Government. The Ambassador wishes to thank them personally, for ensuring the only Great War British Tank Memorial in Belgium, became a reality in the Village of Poelkapelle on behalf of the entire Salient. The invitation is all the more worthwhile when one realises that all of these committee members are Belgian and one Czech.

They are absolutely delighted to be offered this recognition and I salute them all likewise. They truly are great people!

You may see some of them here: http://www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk/

I wish them all a fantastic evening at the Embassy.

Best wishes

Chris.

Hi Guys.

All this talk of congratulations to people over here in Ieper and the surrounding villages, requires me to blow the trumpet on behalf of others who make no noise and achieve great things with respect and dignity.

Best wishes

Chris.

Chris- what "talk". The only thing I have seen on here recently is Soren flagging up Jacky Plateeuw's book launch. I hope you don't mean that.

Hi Paul.

I have no news on that subject whatsoever! Do you?

I have Jacky's reconstruction book and I most certainly am looking forward to his new book whenever that appears.

It is good to hear of people being thanked officially as when required I feel.

Best wishes

Chris.

Chris, then I don't really understand what you mean then by this?

"All this talk of congratulations to people over here in Ieper and the surrounding villages, requires me to blow the trumpet on behalf of others who make no noise and achieve great things with respect and dignity."

If you have 'no news' what do you mean?

All sorts of people.

Such as Ronnie Loof our Standard Bearer who appears wherever on behalf of the RBL without question.

André Santy our RBL President and Jack Squire the Vice President. Both have received awards for their remembrance work recently.

Several local pipers who offer their services at ceremonies free of charge with great respect as many forum members have discovered here. If we who are aware of these things dont praise these people, they certainly won't praise themselves. What is wrong with us doing this? I am confused by your aggressive questioning. Surely you of all people don't begrudge them this?

I'm sorry Chris, but as I explained to you in my PM this looks like sniping from the shadows. All too much of that happens here at times.

Prefixing praise by the tone of your initial statement is why I simply asked what it meant. If you think that's aggressive, then your definition of aggressive and mine of asking a simple question are way apart.

Edited by Paul Reed

Well if you honestly think that the praising of others publically is called sniping from the shadows, I am at a loss here as I have informed you. You have interpreted this entire thread wrongly!

This is such a shame as the people being praised here do not deserve the way this thread has become. You interpreted it wrong Paul, no more less. After the hard work of many others here in Ypres that go's un noticed, it felt the right thing to do. Praise is free and meaningful. To spin it otherwise is so sad.

Having spoken to Chris via PM, and also another member who lives in Ypres, I am happy that his comments are not directed at Jacky. I have no idea who they are directed at, and to be honest don't want. I have also removed reference to the RBL, as Chris' work with the Tank Memorial is not directly connected with that.

I think we would agree that praise is important, but it should never be at the expense of someone else.

Hi all,

Good to see that this discussion, that completely misses the point of the original post has fizzled out.

I, too, would like to add my best wishes to the Tank Memorial Association members for their visit to Brussels.

I followed the "tank walk" on the Sunday following the unveiling of the memorial purely as an interested visitor and was overwhelmed by the passion shown by Johan Vanbeselaere, suported by Chris and other members unknown by name to myself. At Gallipoli Farm even Johan himself was affected as he read out the account of the Fray Bentos incident in the presence of crew family members; he had to insist that the tanks were only machines, it is the men who must be remembered. The effect of the lone Tank Regiment piper on the ridge after the wreath laying cannot be put into words for the benefit of anyone who was not there. Truly mementous. ( a pity that none of the mobile phone video recordings made have made their way onto Youtube. )

Again, congratulations for your recognition and invitation to Brussels and thank you in advance for your efforts in the future.

Another Chris, Lincolnshire, UK.

Does anything like this ever happen on The Somme where it all started? Should there be a Museum or something similar based around Flers? I know there is the Tank Memorial but no real exhibition?

Tony

A tank museum at Flers might be a nice idea, Tony, but by espousing or promoting the venture I think you'll find yourself rapidly immersed in a debate involving the 'wants' of Great War historians and enthusiasts and, on the other hand, the far more practical 'wants' and 'needs' of the people who actually live and work over there in France

Andy

please don't think I have nothing but respect for those responsible for the establishment of the new memorial, far from it.

Nonetheless, Chris, I kind of agree with Paul's query with regard to your original statement; it's not a challenge but a simple query based upon your your original post which mentioned (as I recall) talk of 'congratulations'; could I ask you to which of these groups, individuals or organsisations this comment applied?

Today of all days is not for squabbles, but a time to appreciate not only those who gave their lives for our freedom, but also all those thousands of people who in their own way do honour to the fallen.

Those that ensure War Memorials are not lost, that families of servicemen wounded or killed in current or recent conflicts are properly cared for, tending graves where families cannot travel, they continue their selfless work without expecting reward.

To all of them, I say "We WILL remember them - and we DO appreciate what you do, even if not widely known" Thank You.

Thanks, mate, for that tmely reminder

It makes one stop in one's tracks, shudder and reconsider things about the past, present and future, to consider all aspects of your life, your family, your mates and your forbears; your nation and your beliefs; your religion or your birthright; Let them all rest as Comrades in Arms, as people, soldiers, sons, husbands, uncles and brothers and, especicially during this week, as human beings

Andy