Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZers in SA Forces

SBW

Can anyone help with information regarding NZers in SA Forces.

I am also looking for information for a Tpr Anthony John Sarich (aka as Jack) late 2nd Light Horse, General Both's Campaign, German West Africa. Died at Johannesburg Hospital, November 26, 1915, Aged 36 years. I understand Sarich has a mining background and was a miner in Africa, presumably at the outset of WW1. Any information about other NZs who may have been mining and enlisted in SA would also be welcome. Also can anyone advise where can I get SA WW1 enlistment info please. Tpr A J Sarich is not currently listed on CWGC.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Intrigued by this one- I'm researching the ILH 1899-1915. Had a quick dig and nothing so far. Not in Harry Klein's book or his roll of honour (but almost certainly in one of the squadron photos, P. 77).

Connections between the ILH and mining are mainly Boer War, so off topic, But my Great-Grandfather was CO 5th SAMR (1&2 ILH) in GSWA and had been a mine doctor.

If you have any more details it might help, but GSWA stuff is scarce, and ILH GSWA more so. Will dig further tommorow and see what i see (don't hold your breath!) :)

post-38922-1262327367.jpgThank you for your interest and help. I can't add much more than the attached pic and to advise that Sarich is likely to be the man buried at "Braamfontein Cemetery in Johannesburg. They tell me that they have a record of a AJ SARIGH who died on 26 Nov 1915 and was buried on the 28th in Grave 22477, Roman Catholic Section, at the cemetery." I have yet to hear if there is a gravemarker or receive copy of any records. i understand that a brother also served with him, but somewhere along the way Maro Leopold Sarich returned to NZ and died in a NZ hospital in 1920.

Look forward to any information you might be able to add either in regards to these men or any other NZ/miners/WW1 SA enlistment connections.

Sue

If you have any more details it might help, but GSWA stuff is scarce, and ILH GSWA more so. Will dig further tommorow and see what i see (don't hold your breath! :)

post-38922-1262328417.jpg

Hi Sue,

Thanks for all that. I'm afraid i haven't found anything yet. Got some ILH NZers from the Boer War (Timaru memorial- and one has Lord Ava's Carbine!).

As to why he's not in the CWGC... just found another 2 ILH GSWA men who died aren't either. It's on a site with many south africans with similar problems, www.southafricawargraves.org i think it is a general malais in the paperwork of the time rather than anything diliberate or a matter of qualification- does make our job harder though.

Have added both Sarichs to my reocrds and will let you know if i do find anything.

all the best.

Jim.

Thanks Jim, much appreciated. Interesting to learn about ILH NZ Boer war connections. Any website/books pointers would be appreciated. I will list some NZs serving in SA forces in another post, if you can shed any light on these NZ men, would also appreciate. Many thanks. Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for all that. I'm afraid i haven't found anything yet. Got some ILH NZers from the Boer War (Timaru memorial- and one has Lord Ava's Carbine!).

As to why he's not in the CWGC... just found another 2 ILH GSWA men who died aren't either. It's on a site with many south africans with similar problems, www.southafricawargraves.org i think it is a general malais in the paperwork of the time rather than anything diliberate or a matter of qualification- does make our job harder though.

Have added both Sarichs to my reocrds and will let you know if i do find anything.

all the best.

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Its worth pointing out that he died 5 months after the campaign.... so I am guessing he served in GSWA but was not wounded during the campaign...

Thanks for that Chris, perhaps disease then... would be nice to be able to track something definite down and have confidence that with forum help something will turn up:-)

Sue

Its worth pointing out that he died 5 months after the campaign.... so I am guessing he served in GSWA but was not wounded during the campaign...