Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ship's Adjutant

Rory Reynolds

Hi all

I would dearly like to know what it was that a Ship's Adjutant's job entailed.

Regards

Rory

Sounds to me like it might be the American equivalent of what we on this side of the pond refer to as a Paymaster Lieutenant (Supply Officer).

mb

Rory

Do you think the title could have been in the context of a troop ship.when an Army Officer is responsible for the administration of the troops (sleep/eat/exercise etc arrangements) on board during a voyage ? I am sure I have seen this somewhere.but as I passed the old soixante-neuf yesterday I can't recall where !!

Sotonmate

Rory

Do you think the title could have been in the context of a troop ship.when an Army Officer is responsible for the administration of the troops (sleep/eat/exercise etc arrangements) on board during a voyage ? I am sure I have seen this somewhere.but as I passed the old soixante-neuf yesterday I can't recall where !!

Sotonmate

I think you are on to something there Sotonmate.

I googled the words but, frustratingly, it came up with very little info by way of a definition which is what I am looking for.

Thanks for your and Egypt's input.

I have asked the MOD for his file in the hope that it will provide his full medal entitlement thereby solving the puzzle.

Regards

Rory

Well done Sotonmate - spot on with your link into troop ships.

I have now found several references to the 'Adjutant's office' and 'Ship's Adjutant', all relating to troop ship movements. Seems that the Ship's Adjutant was a military officer (not naval) and his job was to look after army matters pertaining to the ship's 'khaki cargo'.

mb

Every troopship had an army officer appointed as Officer in Command of the troops. The Ship's Adjutant acted as his staff officer.

Charles M

Every troopship had an army officer appointed as Officer in Command of the troops. The Ship's Adjutant acted as his staff officer.

Charles M

Thanks very much all.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Rory

Hi,

The senior NCO onboard would also be appointed 'Ship’s Sergeant Major', and had his own cabin. He would have attended to drafting of the ship’s orders with the Ship’s Adjutant

Regards Mark

Hi,

Here is a reference to a 'Ship's Adjutant' in no 6757 Sergeant John McIlwain's, 5th Battalion, The Connaught Rangers journal for 1916.

Regards Mark

post-14045-1257716180.jpg