Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

US field medics and ambulance

Guest Dmorgan918

Guest Dmorgan918

I am new to the forum, I also did a search. I am looking at what patches did the US medics and ambulance wear? Would it be based on what unit? Also, where can I buy reproductions

?

This may help you.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=trbBXK...;q=&f=false

I have seen patches on e-bay. Edit-Some of the re-enactors on the forum may know where you can obtain reproductions.

Regards,

Scott

I am new to the forum, I also did a search. I am looking at what patches did the US medics and ambulance wear? Would it be based on what unit? Also, where can I buy reproductions

?

Good morning. Generally, US Medics would have worn the patches of whatever Division or larger unit they were assigned to. Other than the large hospitals and some other large medical units, most aid stations, clearing companies, and ambulance vehicles belonged to some Battalion, Division, or Corps. With a few exceptions, they would not have had their own shoulder patches. Most ambulance vehicles did not officially carry any unit markings, but were marked with the Red Cross and with "Army Medical Service". I have seen a few photos with additional unit markings, but that seems to have been unusual. There also was a special "Army Ambulance Service" Patch, but I have never figured out exactly who wore it-- I have always assumed they were with the large hospitals and not assigned to a combat unit.

As to where to get reproduction patches, they are all over the net. Do a Google Search for US Army Insignia or US Army Patches, or US Army WWI patches, and you should find a lot of them. You really just have to decide which ones you want. As one example, I see that https://www.militaryitems.com/home.php?cat=391 has a bunch of what they advertise as original WWI patches (I have never dealt with them, and do not recommend them personally-- just found their website.) Good luck. Doc