Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Number 139182 - expert needed

tommy mcclimonds

I have a soldier who was originally 14th Royal Irish Rifles, who according to his MIC was transferred to the RFC under number 139182. He arrived in France on 3rd October 1915 and it was sometime after that he went to RFC. What I want to know is can you tell from the number when he would have transferred.

Here's hoping, regards, Tommy.

Tommy are you sure that is an RFC number not RAF. That number was part of a block of numbers issued to civilian or transfers to the RAF April/May 1918.

Mick

Unless he continued to serve post war his RAF service record should be in AIR 79/1251; that will tell you when his service started with the RAF or RFC. These are original documents, not available online; you can try to request a copy by clicking 'request this' but the UK National Archives copy department was one of the first to be subject to cuts.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=5

His army records, which would include any time in the RFC, are a standard army search.

Mick

I know her was still in the RIR up to Nov 1917 as it states this in his brothers obituary!

per ardua

Cheers and thanks for the info, I will have a go on-line and see what it all costs?

Regards, Tommy.

I have a soldier who was originally 14th Royal Irish Rifles, who according to his MIC was transferred to the RFC under number 139182. He arrived in France on 3rd October 1915 and it was sometime after that he went to RFC. What I want to know is can you tell from the number when he would have transferred.

Here's hoping, regards, Tommy.

Tommy

139182 was in the block 138001 - 140000, which was for March 1918 transfers.

Regards

Mark

MarkTurner

His AIR79 is as usual brief, unusually service with a previous regiment is not listed, but he is listed as having Man Service (other than boy Service) from 27/5/1915, his service with the RFC commenced on 3/3/18, he went to France with the RAF from 6/4/18 to 20/1/19 as a Labourer. His medals are listed as 1914/15 Star, BWN, VM. If you want a copy of his AIR79 email me through.

www.66squadron.co.uk

john_g

Just scraped in some service with the RFC before it became the RAF on 1st April 1918.

John

Thanks for the info and offer of a copy of AR, much appreciated. PM sent with e-mail address.

Regards, Tommy.