Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Violet Hoblyn and Mary Dunford VAD

high wood

Carina's father Reginald Phibbs Thurburn appears in Burke's Landed Gentry.

All these photographs seem to be of very well-heeled, upper class individuals.

Doug,

many thanks for your sterling efforts.

Interesting to note the St Columb connection for Richard Peach in the 1911 census.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes I had noticed that. Looks like they may have formed friendships in Cornwall though not necessarily having been born or raised there.

Doug

YOU'VE GOT HOLD OF THE WRONG VIOLET! (as the bishop said to the flowergirl :) )

The Joan Winifred HOBLYN that procat found in post #7, born Isle of Wight 1893, daughter of Lt-Col Edward Florance HOBLYN of the RGA Staff, had a sister Violet Alice HOBLYN, born Rondebosch, S.Africa, in 1896. And another sister Kathleen Elizabeth (born Gibraltar 1901).

See http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ig...g&id=I39695

In 1911, Violet and Kathleen are boarders at a private girls' school at 16 Clarendon Road, Southsea. Their parents are with the army in Singapore, but the family home was Ashford Lodge, Halstead, Essex (also stated on E.F.'s MIC).

Violet Alice seems to me much more likely to be mixing with the company shown in the album!

Note also that the father of the JENOURs (post #22) was an RGA Major in South Africa.

Adrian

"Oh dear, I have been a silly boy" as the bishop might have said when caught with the flower girl. In my defence, I hadn't imagined that there could be two Violet A Hoblyns of around the same age. Thank you for setting the record straight. It now appears that Violet followed her sister Winifred into the VAD, BRCS, but unlike her has no medal entitlement, probably because she disembarked in France after the armistice was signed.

post-6480-1257606810.jpg

YOU'VE GOT HOLD OF THE WRONG VIOLET! (as the bishop said to the flowergirl :) )

Adrian

A not unusual experience when tracking ancestry.

Well found Adrian.

I note that there is an email address on that link provided by Adrian Simon. Well worth making contact I reckon.

Doug

• 1 year later...

Hello

My name is Robin( Bryan Hoblyn) Ashby and i belive that this post relates to my great aunt i have further information that i can post about the two sisters who were both ambulance drivers during the war, Alice went on to Marry Charles Modin who was in the RAF during the greast war. I was also interested if there are any other photograghs you may have especally of Ashforfd lodge and my great grandfather as it was burnt down in 1922 and although rebuilt most of the familly possesions were lost in the fire.

I have been away for a long weekend and have only just seen your post. I will dig out the album again and check to see what is in it. I don't think that I posted all of the photographs in it by a long chalk.

Simon.

Many thanks

It has been fantastic to see the photographs she took as i only have written informationon the familly history it really brings them to life. I was was wondering whrere you found the photograph album.

just to let you know some more details, both Violet and her sister Joan were in the VAD . Both Violet and Joan had been at a finishing school in Hanover before the war and spoke German which is why Violet was at the Censorship headquarters in the strand London. Joan went to France in 1915 as part of the first contingent of lady ambulance drivers, first to Boulogne and then to Le Touquet. Joan went on to Marry Charles Modin in August 1934 who I believe was in France at the same time in the RAF. I wonder if that is where they first meet although there is a long gap before they wed. I think he may have been married before, as records show his son was killed in the Normandy landings while he was a prisoner in the Mukden camp in Formosa and Joan and Charles never had any children.. Violet went on to Marry Harry A Clark a tea planter in Ceylon( a bit of a playboy by all accounts). Both ther father Edward Floorence Hoblyn(1862 - 1928) and Grandfather Thomas Hallam Hoblyn (1835-1866) were in the army. When I asked my mother about the the horse, apparently it used to mow the lawns at Ashford loge wearing special shoes as not to leave marks on the lawn.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

There are exactly 60 photographs in the album; mostly of Violet's friends. There is only one photograph of Ashford Lodge itself and two photographs taken in the grounds. Most of the other photographs were taken on the Isle of Wight or at Lingfield.

• 2 weeks later...

There are exactly 60 photographs in the album; mostly of Violet's friends. There is only one photograph of Ashford Lodge itsel and two photographs taken in the grounds. Most of the other photographs were taken on the Isle of Wight or at Lingfield.

No problem, if you send me your email address I will send you copies of every photograph in the album.

I purchased the album from a man who does house clearances many years ago; I think that it came from the Ashtead, Surrey or thereabouts.

• 1 month later...

No problem, if you send me your email address I will send you copies of every photograph in the album.

I purchased the album from a man who does house clearances many years ago; I think that it came from the Ashtead, Surrey or thereabouts.

Hello

I find your thread very interesting for me from a transport point of view.

I have in my possession a couple of Great War Crossleys please see the attached pictures below, that's me in the heavy Leather coat, hope it does not ruin the picture for you!

Is it possible to send me a few pictures of the Crossley from the album? I am interested in the differences between the various Crosselys.

e-mail:tomfryars@googlemail.com

Kind Regards

Tom Fryars

rfc2007.jpg

other6.jpg

• 3 years later...
Guest st aubyns alumni

Violet Alice Hoblyn, the subject of this thread, was in fact engaged in August 1914 to William Wynter Peache, the younger brother of Dick of the "Dick and Carina" wedding photo. He was in the Royal Engineers like his brother, who survived the war, but died in Malta on 3rd December 1914, six months before the wedding of his brother. Very sadly, from his file at Kew, it turns out the he killed himself by shooting himself in the head. It seems to have been given the benefit of the doubt at the time that this was accidental.

• 3 years later...

Violet Alice Hoblyn was the wife of my great uncle, Henry Agar Clark.  She was also the daughter of Edward Florance Hoblyn - Lieutenant Colonel of the Royal Garrison Artillery.  She married Henry Clark in 1931 in Ceylon where he was a Tea Planter.  He served with the 92nd Punjabis Lieutenant in Mesopotamia and was wounded twice.  After the war they both lived in Ceylon where he continued as a Manager of a tea plantation.  I have not managed to find any children from their marriage.  It appears that they left Ceylon in 1951 and retired to Totland Bay on the Isle of Wight.  They were buried in the grounds of Christ Church in Totland Bay.  If anyone is interested I have a wedding photo of them and one of Henry Clark.  I would love to have any photos of Violet.

Violet's mother was Alice Caroline Warburton and her parents married in 1891 in Lexden, Essex.  I believe that perhaps her father was discharged wounded around 1924 probably earlier and he passed away in 1928

• 1 year later...

Hello!

Looking through my grandmother's photograph album I came across a picture of "Mary & Violet Hoblyn".  So I looked up Violet Hoblyn and found your post.  Mary Dunford was my grandmother's sister.  I'd really love to see some of the other photos.  And please do let me know if you'd like more information about Mary and her family.

With best wishes

Bea

• Admin
12 hours ago, MaryBea said:

Hello!

Looking through my grandmother's photograph album I came across a picture of "Mary & Violet Hoblyn".  So I looked up Violet Hoblyn and found your post.  Mary Dunford was my grandmother's sister.  I'd really love to see some of the other photos.  And please do let me know if you'd like more information about Mary and her family.

With best wishes

Bea

Bea

Welcome to the forum.

Most of the posters on this thread have not been on the forum for some time but if you reply to this post you will then be able to access the private message system (click on the user's name and select message). The forum will then send an email to their registered address advising them that they have a message from you, hopefully allowing direct contact to be made.

Regards

David