Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PTE H Ward 723139 24-London Regiment

Richard Matlock

Hello again all

one for my brother today, a single to the above again an MIC would be great, i take it Ancestry is still not there !!!!, also not heard of the 24th London Regiment before who and what were they ? iam aware some London regiments had nick names was this one of them ?

Thanks again all Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

Hi Rich. Have a look at the Long Long Trail website. Scroll down and you will find the 24th London Battalion, that is number 24, one of the many Battalions of the London Regiment. You will find much more on that website to help you build a better picture, of how the Army structure works. I use that site all the time.

I will have a look on Ancestry, see if I can find anything.

Cheers Mike

Sorry Rich, I can't see anything on Ancestry. They only have service records up to the letter N, so far, so there may be a service record, that has yet to put online.

Cheers Mike

Thanks , theres a rumour that the service records are now on line ? could anyone have another look

Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

post-20062-1257343429.jpg

Here is a photo of an original tunic to the 24th London which belong to Corp. A.E.E. Hancock, he was in the Notts and Derby with number 203006 then transferred to the 24th London Regt. with new number 725749.

Sorry to be a pain , is there anything on Ancestry now ? if not it wont be at Kew either i presume ?

Thanks Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

Hi Rich, I had a quick look and am afraid can't see him. That doesn't mean his service record isn't there though.

Perhaps someone else can confirm yea or nay.

Cheers Mike

I had a quick look and am afraid can't see him.

Likewise, can't see anything obvious.

Steve

Hello again all

one for my brother today, a single to the above again an MIC would be great, i take it Ancestry is still not there !!!!, also not heard of the 24th London Regiment before who and what were they ? iam aware some London regiments had nick names was this one of them ?

Thanks again all Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

Rich - I think the 24th, like the 22nd, were 'The Queens'. I have 4 Maldon/Heybridge casualties from that battalion.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon