Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bosniaks versus British - Isonzo front in 1918

Ahmed Pasic

Hello,

I am reading a book "With Bosniaks in the world war", written by Pero Blaskovic, officer of Bosnian-herzegovian unit BH3 during the WWI. Pero Blaskovic was Croat from Karlovac but served as officer of BH3 in Austro-Hungarian army.

In 1937 he wrote a book, actually a diary about his war experience. It is tremendous book, explaining their route from Bosnia to Carpathians, Galizia, Dolomites and then to Isonzo. He iswriting at the end of book that in 1918, when Allies attacked Austro-Hungarian army at Isonzo, his unit fought against British, I think he said they were some Scottish unit. I can check later if there is more information, where and when did the fight take place.

Maybe you can help me to identify the British unit who fought this elite Austro-Hungarian unit in Isonzo in 1918. :)

Ahmed

Ahmed

If you have the place and date I'm sure we can find out who the British were. There weren't many of Scottish units sent, it shouldn't be too hard to work out which one.

ETA: probably the 7th Division which had Scottish units in it. Was Blascovic in the Austro-Hungarian 7th Division?

• 2 weeks later...
Ahmed

If you have the place and date I'm sure we can find out who the British were. There weren't many of Scottish units sent, it shouldn't be too hard to work out which one.

ETA: probably the 7th Division which had Scottish units in it. Was Blascovic in the Austro-Hungarian 7th Division?

Hi there,

must re-read that chapter again, to tell you more information. :)

Diary is very detailed and you can really see the whole story of BH3 regiment from Dolomites to Galicia, then back to Isonzo front where they were captured at the end of 1918 by French unit, taken to camp in Vicenza, then to France (Toulouse, Lyon) and released only n 1919 / 1920.

I will post requested information later, no problem. I don't which division did BH3 belong to in that time, will check on that as well.

Where were Italian camps for POW in that time? I found this information about Vicenza. Anything more on this?

• 1 month later...

Dober dan, Ahmed;

Blaskovic's book sounds very interesting. Could you post a bit more information on the book? Admittedly, his name is unusual enough (to some) as to make a search on the Internet probably successful.

Hvala lepa,

Bob Lembke

• 7 months later...

My grandfathers youngest brother was killed in the fighting at Isonzo.He was living in London when war broke out and along with 700 more Italians living in Britain they were sent out as a regiment.Many never returned he is buried at a war cemetery containing 45.000 names at Gorizia .Fruili.near the Croatian border.

He is listed on the w.w.1 war memorial outside St Peters Italian church Clerkenwell London.

This could expain the mention of Scots or english troops at Isonzo.But would be really interested to find out if this regiment he was in was British or Italian?

Doe;s anybody have any info on this?

Lion, if you post his name we can check if he was in the British Army.

his name was Lorenzo Colosso he is listed on the memorial as killed in the year 1914. Cant find his name on the ANCESTRY.CO UK military site .

I do know that after his death my grandad (paternal )side returned to Italy and served in the 53rd infantry regiment of the Italian army.

Wheras my maternal sides grandmothers brother served in the royal warwicks M.C.G. Company and was a proffesional soldier from 1902 and rejoined in 1914 went to France Belgium and was involved in several engagements including Loo;s where he was wounded .

Have found a picture of him and a newspaper article about him describing the engagement and how they were pinned down for half and hour by Machine gun fire because When they got to the german wire it was still intact.Then they took a quarry that had been occupied by the germans.. Fascinating!!

I didnt realise that the fighting at Isonzo was so horrific and was shocked to find my grandads brother being killed there but there where Italians from .Scotland Manchester London in this regiment Ihave a feeling that it was an Italian regiment but which I would love to find out..

lion, there is nothing under that name on the Commonweatlh War Graves Commission site, which strongly suggests he was in the Italian Army.

I have no idea how you would go about tracing him. There are several Italian memebrs of the forum, a search of other threads in this sub-forum would turn up their names, and they might be able to help.

Ciao, two things:

@ Lion:In WWI didn't exist in Italian Army a regiment for italians who lived in Great Britain.

The italians that came from other countries ( G.B., U.S.A., Argentina and so on...) went to the regiments of their district.

To know the regiment and the places where Lorenzo Colosso fought, needing the year when he was born and the italian city where he was born, after that I'll try to write to the military district of that city and, with a little bit of lucky....but in september...in august I'll be in holidays on Asiago Plateau.

@ Corporal (post 1): it's impossible that Allies attacked Austro-Hungarian army at Isonzo in 1918, because in november 1917 Italian Army, after Caporetto defeat, retire his troops on the Piave river, hundred of kilometers behind Isonzo river.

Scuse me again for my english... ;-)

Ciao Kibe

Thank you for your kind offer .Here is the information I have on Lorenzo .------Lorenzo Natale Colosso .c.1893/1894 born Ivrea province of Torino Piedmonte Italia

Fathers name Giovanni Colosso .c.1857 Mothers name Marta ferrero-Aprato.c. 1860

Both parents domiciled in Ivrea Also

I made a mistake the war Memorial has Lorenzo's death in 1914

Once again thank you for your response I would welcome any information you find.If its any help Lorenzo's brother my grandfather was in the the 53rd Reggimento Fantria

But I dont know if Lorenzo served in that Regimento as my grandfather only joined in 1918 4 years after his brothers death.

Reards Lion

Ciao Lion,

I think that the informations you have on Lorenzo are sufficient to obtain a good result.

I'll write to military district of Torino to know in what regiment Lorenzo fought, after that... no more problem, I have the diares of all italian brigades of Italian Army in WWI.

Just wait september, in August I'll be on Asiago plateau in holidays and to make other research...

P.S: I'm looking for photo, maps and everything regarding British Army in Italy in 1917/19, I like to make photos "then and now" and research on battlefield...