Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Duke of Wellingtom's West Riding Reg

peterhodgkinson

Does anyone know who commanded this battalion from approximately Oct 1917, when CM Bateman probably departed, until the armistice?

Hi Peter,

In the Feb.1919 Army List under the 6th Bn it shows 'In Command' Knight, Maj. G.M. (Act.Lt.Col., 20/10/17) H.L.I.

I can only assume that judging from him becoming Acting Lt.Col. on 20/10/17, that he took over command from C.M.Bateman at or around this date.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Robert

Robert

Thanks for your response, but he actually came to the 6th Reseve Btn inMay 1918, not the 1/6th.

Hi Peter,

Sorry my mistake, when I look closer there is a ® infront of his entry which obviously stands for Reserve Bn. I have had a look at the short history (war record) of the 1/6th Bn at the beginning of the Craven Roll (Craven's Part in the Great War) if you are conversent with this? On page 30, top, it states: 'Major A.B.Clarkson, M.C., took over the command of the battalion--'. This is in October, 1917 and it seems that he remained in that post until the armistice?

Hope I have got it right this time!!

Regards, Robert

Robert

Thanks for your further effort and for drawing my attention to this resource. Reading closely, and using the Gazette, it appears Clarkson had two spells in charge Oct17-Jan18, whereupon Bateman returned, being invalided again in Oct 1918, when Clarkson again became CO.

Peter

• 7 months later...

Hello Peter & Robert

I have just come across this thread concerning Lt Col C.M. Bateman DSO + bar, also Major A.B. Clarkson DSO. No additional information I'm afraid, but please read on….....

Both of these men were Directors of T.M. Bairstow's Ltd in Sutton-in-Craven as stated in 'Craven's Part in the Great War'. There was a third Director at T.M. Bairstow's Major N.B. Chaffers (M.C.). Also a Captain Cedric Fawcett Horsfall KIA Aug 1916. All 4 of these officers served with the 1/6th West Riding Regt

My question is, do you happen to know where their respective medals groups are. I realize that this is a VERY long shot. However, I am wondering about the Duke of Wellington Regimental museum near Halifax. The last time I looked in there I came away with severe gravel rash on my tongue as I drooled over the various gallantry medals on display. I have a sneaky feeling that maybe some of these groups are housed there.

I've lived in Adelaide now for the past 16 years which somewhat inhibits my medal collecting and medal researching activities. My main motivation for asking this question is I have been searching for medals to the WW1 fallen of Sutton-in-Craven (40 names) for the past 20 years as well as gallantry groups to Suttoners and those living in surrounding villages – with ZERO success!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have just seen your post regarding Sutton-in-Craven and the war memorial etc. I live approximately 3 1/2 miles from Sutton and have done for the past 28 years, most of which I have also looked out for medals etc to men from the area including Sutton. I suppose that I have the advantage on you by living locally, yet I have come across very few medals to these local men, although I do have some.

As regards the medals you mention to the Directors of Bairstows Mill, I can honestly say that I have never heard of any of these being on the market. I have known members of the Horsfall family for many years and did once ask if they knew of the medals to Cedric Horsfall, sadly no one seemed to have any idea where they were. As this was 20 years or more ago perhaps I should ask again.

It may be worth your while to write to the Museum at Halifax and ask the question-I don't think that I have been there for almost 20 years now so I'm afraid that I am not sure how helpful they are.

Sorry to be of little help, however please ask if you need any more info.

Best wishes, Robert

Hi Robert, yes it can be a little frustrating not knowing where these important medal groups are. Presumably in private collections of possibly museums.

With regards to Cedric Fawcett Horsfall, KIA in 1916, there used to be an elaborate family vault at the front of the old Baptist Chapel in Sutton-in-Craven where Cedric and other family members were remembered. However, this is no longer there following a major clearance of the graveyard when the new modern chapel was built in the early 1970s.

I'll send you a PM regarding a couple of other questions I have about the above.

Regards, Andrew

Hello Peter & Robert

I have just come across this thread concerning Lt Col C.M. Bateman DSO + bar, also Major A.B. Clarkson DSO. No additional information I'm afraid, but please read on….....

Both of these men were Directors of T.M. Bairstow's Ltd in Sutton-in-Craven as stated in 'Craven's Part in the Great War'. There was a third Director at T.M. Bairstow's Major N.B. Chaffers (M.C.). Also a Captain Cedric Fawcett Horsfall KIA Aug 1916. All 4 of these officers served with the 1/6th West Riding Regt

My question is, do you happen to know where their respective medals groups are. I realize that this is a VERY long shot. However, I am wondering about the Duke of Wellington Regimental museum near Halifax. The last time I looked in there I came away with severe gravel rash on my tongue as I drooled over the various gallantry medals on display. I have a sneaky feeling that maybe some of these groups are housed there.

I've lived in Adelaide now for the past 16 years which somewhat inhibits my medal collecting and medal researching activities. My main motivation for asking this question is I have been searching for medals to the WW1 fallen of Sutton-in-Craven (40 names) for the past 20 years as well as gallantry groups to Suttoners and those living in surrounding villages – with ZERO success!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew

I've just come back from the Duke of Wellington's Regimental Museum and can tell you, they don't hold any of the above officers medals in there collection sorry to say. If you PM me i may be able to help with any Duke's research. Kindest Regards DaveC

Sorry to cut in on your thread Peter .

Hi Andrew hope your keeping well . Do you know if anyone photographed the vault before its removal ?

Regards

Chris

Hello DaveC

What can I say, thanks very much for taking the time and effort to check out the Dukes museum for the above mentioned medal groups. It will be 16 or 17 years since I was last there and all I can remember is VC group after VC group, unbelievable. Again, your help is much appreciated.

Hi Chris, hope you too are keeping well

Very good question about the Horsfall vault and other graves at the front of the old Sutton-in-Craven chapel. I clearly remember them all before they were removed. As to whether they were photographed prior to removal I don't know, BUT I may be able to find out. A cousin of mine now in his 80s, keen photographer and life long resident of Sutton may know. I cannot imagine the vault was not photographed before removal. I'll be back in touch.

Regards, Andrew

Hello DaveC

What can I say, thanks very much for taking the time and effort to check out the Dukes museum for the above mentioned medal groups. It will be 16 or 17 years since I was last there and all I can remember is VC group after VC group, unbelievable. Again, your help is much appreciated.

Hi Chris, hope you too are keeping well

Very good question about the Horsfall vault and other graves at the front of the old Sutton-in-Craven chapel. I clearly remember them all before they were removed. As to whether they were photographed prior to removal I don't know, BUT I may be able to find out. A cousin of mine now in his 80s, keen photographer and life long resident of Sutton may know. I cannot imagine the vault was not photographed before removal. I'll be back in touch.

Regards, Andrew

Many thanks Andrew,