Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Btn Connaught Rangers, photo?

jollgo

Are there any regimental group photos of the 5th Btn Connaught Rangers from 1914-15 in existence? I am looking for a photo of Lance Sergeant Joseph Grady who was KIA on Kosturino ridge 7/12/1915. He was my Grandad John Grady's brother and they were together on one of the machine guns when Josie was killed.

It's a bit of a long shot but hey just maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks in advance. John O'Grady.

John,

Welcome to the forum.

There are some photos of the 5th at the IWM -

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll

As you say its a long shot that you will be able to get an identified photo of your ancestor.

John

EDIT

The link doesn't work, apologies. Click on "Search All Records" enter Connaught Rangers and select Photos, then search.

Are there any regimental group photos of the 5th Btn Connaught Rangers from 1914-15 in existence? I am looking for a photo of Lance Sergeant Joseph Grady who was KIA on Kosturino ridge 7/12/1915. He was my Grandad John Grady's brother and they were together on one of the machine guns when Josie was killed.

It's a bit of a long shot but hey just maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks in advance. John O'Grady.

Hi John

My Great Uncle was killed on the same date with the 5th Rangers, I got help on this thread: -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=130064

Sam

John,

Welcome to the forum.

There are some photos of the 5th at the IWM -

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/dbtw-wpd/exec/dbtwpub.dll

As you say its a long shot that you will be able to get an identified photo of your ancestor.

John

EDIT

The link doesn't work, apologies. Click on "Search All Records" enter Connaught Rangers and select Photos, then search.

Thanks for that John. The one thing that would help in identification is his rank, Lance Sergeant. But it appears that a group regimental photo doesn't exist.

"Also thanks to Sam "roughdiamond."

Hi John

I have the war diaries for the 5th Connaught Rangers for August and October 1915 if you are interested? Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will mail them over to you.

Best wishes

Jonathan

Hi John

I have the war diaries for the 5th Connaught Rangers for August and October 1915 if you are interested? Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will mail them over to you.

Best wishes

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan but keep getting error message, not allowed to use PM feature. What is all that about?

Hi,

Looking at his Medal Card it gives a Date of Entry as 29 Oct 1915, but the nearest date in the War Diary mentioning a draft arriving is for 26 Oct 1915.

26 Oct 1915 British Camp, Salonika. 2nd Lt A C Holmes and 32 other ranks of the transport personel left behind in England arrived today on the SS 'Nile'.

Regards Mark

John,

I think you need 10 posts before you can use the PM function.

John

John,

I think you need 10 posts before you can use the PM function.

John

Yes you're right John, heres one towards it.