Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PTE George White 7660 2nd Batt Hampshire reg KIA

Richard Matlock

Hello all

trying to find out what i can about the above, anything on ancestry or his MIC as usual would be great, didnt know the Hampshires where there ? would this of been a regualar battalion meaning he was pre war or a territorial , as always anything would be great including anyone with the war diary

Thanks again Rich M

:blink::poppy::ph34r:

MIC -

Shows 1st and entry September 1914.

SDGW (Ancestry version) -

Name: George White

Birth Place: Andover, Hants

Residence: Winchester

Death Date: 20 May 1915

Enlistment Location: Andover, Hants

Regiment: Hampshire Regiment

Battalion: 2nd Battalion.

Number: 7660

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Antwerp

Enlistment and residence usually switched. Normal Stupid Theatres!!

John

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : in Mhow, India. Returned to England, arriving at Plymouth 22 December 1914. Moved to Romsey and on 13 February 1915 to Stratford-upon-Avon.

13 February 1915 : attached to 88th Brigade in 29th Division. Moved to Warwick.

Sailed from Avonmouth on 29 March 1915 for Gallipoli, going via Egypt. Landed at Cape Helles on 25 April 1915.

January 1916 : evacuated from Gallipoli to Egypt.

20 March 1916 : landed at Marseilles for service in France.

http://www.1914-1918.net/hants.htm

John

post-38480-1256990932.jpg

Rich M,

In the absence of a surviving service record or other source it is difficult to provide any more than a high level account. I have the following:

7660 Pte George WHITE enlisted as a Regular with the Hampshire Regiment in 1906.

He proceeded to join 1/Hants in France with a reinforcement draft from 3rd (Reserve) Bn, Hants entering that Theatre of War on 12/09/1914. He was probably mobilised on the outbreak of war from the Army Reserve.

Hampshire Regimental Journal (HRJ) casualty list published January 1915 shows him as sick with bronchitis and in hospital at Norwich on 15/12/1914.

Following treatment and recuperation he would have been sent to join 2/Hants and most likely took part in the landing at Cape Helles on 25/04/1915.

HRJ Casualty List No 25 published July 1915 reported 7660 Pte White G. killed in action 20/05/1915.

Battalion War Diary:

Position 176 q 5

19/05/15 - Advanced front line by saps. Improved and extended communication trenches. 1 wounded 3 sick.

20/05/15 - Further advance by saps as before. 2/Lieut. Holdway wounded. Lieut. Webb rejoined from hospital. 1 killed 2 wounded.

Extract from Regimental history covering this period is below.

Would be worth checking the local papers of the day for the Andover area to see if there is any mention of him.

Marc

post-52-1256994831.jpg

Thanks all , wasnt expecting so much so soon, i take it Ancestry is still not at the W yet ? if not another one for the visit to Kew.

Thanks again

Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

Thanks all , wasnt expecting so much so soon, i take it Ancestry is still not at the W yet ? if not another one for the visit to Kew.

Rich - be prepared for disappoint when you look for his service record. Surviving records for Hampshire Regiment other rank fatalities in the Great War are extremely rare i.e. all but non existent.

Marc