Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major-General J. E. B. Seely

Marc Thompson

I have acquired an interesting photograph of Major-General J. E. B. Seely (C.B.) unveiling a local war memorial in Hampshire in 1921. Is anyone able to furnish me with some additional background information about Major-General Seely's WWI career (if any)? The only reference that I have come across thus far is in the local paper, so there is no guarantee that his name is spelt correctly.

Many thanks for any help that forum members can provide.

Regards

Marc

Presumably this is the General Seeley, who as Brigadier General, commanded the Canadian Cavalry Brigade from 28 Jan 15 to 19 Jun 17.

It seems as his appointment caused some controversy with the Canadian government. The Prime Minister thought that the appointment of a British regular officer to command a Brigade supplied by the Canadian government was not handled with tact.

General Seeley published his memoirs after the war. The book is called "Adventure."

I am sure your local library could obtain a copy for you via the library inter-loan service.

Regards

Terry

He was a friend of Lt Col Colin Harding the CO of the 15th Royal Warwicks (2nd Birmingham). He refers to 'Jack' Seeley a few times in his own memoirs "Far Bugles." They served in South Africa together.

Many thanks for the excellent information gents. Just what I wanted.

Regards

Marc :D