Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Division Patches

Guest iano1100

Hi can anyone out there help me?

I'm trying to find a photograph of the 12th division patch and the dimensions of the same.

Regards to all

Ian

Ian, not a photo but an illustration of the 12th Division insignia . Cant help with the dimensions I'm afraid

post-16754-1256941474.jpg

I seem to recall a photo in Chris McCarthy's book "The Somme The Day-By-day Account" of a Tommy with this insignia painted on his helmet . Overlooking the smashed trenches at Ovillers . I don't own a copy of the book so I maybe wrong.

Regards

Chris

Not sure if this was ever worn as a patch on the tunic, as Chris mentions there are a few photos which clearly show the device painted on the helmets and I'm sure I've seen it on the side of a GS wagon.

cheers, Jon

Ian

I believe that Jon is right and that the Div sign was never worn as a patch on the tunic. Mike Chappel states in his Osprey Battle Isignia book that by 1918 all units of the Div were wearing it painted on the back of their steel helmets. I don't know his source for "all" but do have specific references that is was being done by 6th Queens R West Surreys and 7th R Sussex. Attached is a pic showing the shape of spade used on Div staff armbands, in this case 1 1/2" x 1". I have also seen it used on a staff pennon and with an MGC badge superimposed as the centre of a 12th Bn MGC flag in the IWM's flag collection - otherwise I think it was just used as a vehicle sign.

Mike

post-97-1256973310.jpg

post-48147-1256977515.jpg

In the History of the 12th (Eastern Division) in the Great War by Major-General Sir Arthur B.Scott and P Middleton Brumwell published in 1923 there is this picture.

No doubt the Tank experts will tell us the location and number of this Tank.

There is also a picture of a staff car at Divisional HQ at Nieppe with the 12th Division emblem on the side of the vehicle.

The Divisional emblem can also be found inset as a circle on the front cover of the book at 5cm.

Philip

Here is a topic showing the insignia on the helmet. Since the battle patches were worn on the back, they are I suspect rarely seen in pictures.

EDIT: The actual link might help!

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;#entry768052

Steve.

So as not to disappoint, the tank is C47 of C Battalion, manufacturer's number 2732, lost during the Cambrai battle November - December 1917. There are other examples of C Battalion tanks carrying this insignia at this time.

Gwyn

So as not to disappoint, the tank is C47 of C Battalion, manufacturer's number 2732, lost during the Cambrai battle November - December 1917. There are other examples of C Battalion tanks carrying this insignia at this time.

Gwyn

Gwyn

Much appreciated thank you.

Philip