Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L Cpl Duncan Macdonald

GraemMac

hi there i am seeking if possible any further information Name:MACDONALD, DUNCANInitials:DNationality:United KingdomRank:Lance CorporalRegiment/Service:Cameron HighlandersUnit Text:2nd Bn.Age:33Date of Death:between 01/10/1916 and 02/10/1916Service No:17395Additional information:Son of Archibald and Janet Macdonald, of Achnaconeran West, Glenmoriston, Inverness-shire.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:V. B. 11.Cemetery:STRUMA MILITARY CEMETERY

GMac.

S/17395 L/Cpl Duncan McDonald. 2nd Bn Cameron Highlanders. Born: Urquhart. Glen Moriston. Invernesshire. Killed in action Salonica 2nd October 1916.The Bn was in the Karadzakoi Bala, Karadzakoi Zir area north of the River Struma. I hope this is of some help.

Aye Rob.

Duncan MacDonald's grave at Struma:

post-16303-1256884929.jpg

(Photo taken July 2008. It may have been repaired since then as they have replaced several broken stones at Struma this year.)

Adrian

The Scottish National war Memorial have him as a 'Mc' rather than a 'Mac'

His will is held at the National Archives in Edinburgh these are the details

John

Repository National Archives of Scotland

Reference SC70/8/1297/16

Title Will of S/17395 or 17395 Lance Corporal Duncan McDonald, 2nd Bn., Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, Cause of death: Killed in action, Salonika., Theatre: Salonika., 01-02 Oct 1916

Dates 1 June 1915

Access status Open

Access conditions Due to its fragile condition this will cannot be produced in the search room. Please contact a member of Search Room staff for details of how to access this document.

Description Informal will from Pay Book (Army Book 64). War Office refs: E/255685/3, 206/380997

• 2 weeks later...
Duncan MacDonald's grave at Struma:

post-16303-1256884929.jpg

(Photo taken July 2008. It may have been repaired since then as they have replaced several broken stones at Struma this year.)

Adrian

gratefull thanks to everyone that sent information on Duncan & a special thank you to apwright for the photograph that was truly amazing,sorry i hadnt replyed sooner i had computer problems & i do apoligise but once again thank you all for a job well done sincere thanx always