Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battalion Devonshire

Malcolm Linham

Pals

On behalf of my sister in law I am researching Private Thomas Charles Witcombe 33683 9th Devons.

Please can someone tell me what they were doing in December 1916 to the date of his death on the 5th January 1917.

Many thanks

Malcolm

Malcolm

You might have to look at the Bn War Diary which is at Kew under WO95/1656 for their position in Jan 1917.

From the CWGC site it seems likely that he was initially buried in another cemetery,TEN TREE ALLEY,PUISEAUX,700 metres SE of SERRE,and after the Armistice some smaller cemeteries were concentrated elsewhere,in this case SERRE Road CEMETERY No.1. If he died fighting nearby it would have been close to PUISEAUX. The Diary will give a fairly precise location.

Sotonmate

Malcolm

The war diary states that on 5th January 1917 the 9th battalion was at Bertrancourt

'Battn relieved in close by 2/HAC and moved back to Bertrancourt taking over billets from 1st RWF, relief complete 11.20 am. A party of of 50 men remained in trenches to retake Hope Post. The post was retaken at 6.20 pm. Our casualties were - 2/Lieut Noon wounded, 2/Lieut Dewhurst slightly wounded;

Killed in action - 33626 Pte A Tuckett; 33683 Pte J Witcombe'

CT Atkinson's 'The Devonshire Regiment states ' when the battalion moved out on relief by the 22nd Brigade, it left behind 50 men, under 2nd-Lieut Noon, specially detailed to recover the post. This they successfully accomplished three days later. Under cover of a bombardment, the party advanced over the open on either side of Serre Trench, and rushed the post, talking nine prisoners; while another party worked further along the trench and established a new block. 2nd-lieut Noon and 10 men were wounded and five men killed, but their satisfaction was greatat having wiped off the slate a nasty little score against the battalion.'

Hope this helps

Billyfiske