Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals

Bazezah

Hi All,

Does anyone know if a medal was issued to those who served in Archangel, Russia after hostilities ended? (or have I missed a previous thread)

Regards Barry

Most of those serving were drawn from former serving soldiers{I have the MM & 1914~15 Star trio to a member of the No1 Special Company The Middlesex Regt who had served in France in the 1st,4th & 11th Bns during WW1,before volunteering for the No1,Special Company & being awarded the MM in 1920 for North Russia!},who had already won the BWM & Victory Medal @ least,however in the unusual circumstance of a "newbie" being sent out to Russia the BWM would have been awarded singly,subject to the qualifying criteria.

HB

Hi,

My man also won the MM, (first day of the Somme) and has Pip Squeak and Wilfred he served from 1914, he served in 1st Bn East Surrey Regt.

He also served 1939 - 1945

Barry

Thus his BWM would cover his Russian Expeditionary Force as well as his F&F Service previously earned,

There wasn't a specific medal for service in Archangel, Russia, just as there wasn't for service on the Somme. There might have been a clasp for it if they had been produced.

Donald Hall's 'British Orders, Decorations and Medals' states:-British War Medal 1914-1920. Originally authorised in 1919 for services in the Great War, this award was later extended to 1919-20 to cover operations in Russia, the Eastern Baltic and other areas, and also for post-war mine-clearance at sea.

Keith

Russia was a qualfying theatre for the award of the British War Medal AND Victory Medal from May 1918 - July 1920.

The earlier poster is correct that most of the soldiers who served in Russia (90-95%) had prior service in other theatres of war so had already earned these awards by the time they got to Russia.