Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge identification

peterstarling

Trying to research my great uncle Arthur William Rose 1886-1975. At the outbreak of WW1 he lived and worked in Lymington, Hampshire. I have a family photo of him in a rather plain soldiers uniform with the only clue to his regiment in his cap badge. I've checked several websites without success. Anyone recognise the badge or suggest where I might look? Thanks for reading this thread and hope you can help!

post-50654-1256766763.jpg

Concur! HB

On looking at it, it does look like a Royal Artillery badge, but closer examination will reveal it isn't. The scroll at the bottom isn't the the artillery one, but is interwoven - weaving in and out, whereas the RA scroll doesn't. Had it been RA, at this exposure the gun itself would be plainly visible, but again it isn't and we do appear to have a shield above the scroll.

I would suggest a closer look at his uniform as he could either be OTC or an unknown VTC unit.

The MiC show a number of Arthur Roses in the Artillery,only one with the third name "W" [second name listed as "H"??]

Do you have any further details of him??

Rose MiC link..

post-50654-1256889170.jpg

The MiC show a number of Arthur Roses in the Artillery,only one with the third name "W" [second name listed as "H"??]

Do you have any further details of him??

Rose MiC link..

Thanks for all the very helpful replies. It does seems the right shape for artillery but I agree there is no sign of a cannon so it can't be. I don't have much info on the soldier. Full name Arthur William Rose but known as 'Will'. At the outbreak of WW1 he lived and worked in Lymington, Hampshire.

Graham (i think) suggested OTC or VTC but I don't know what these stand for?

OTC is Officer Training Corps but having been through K&K I can't see any OTC badge that remotely looks like the one in the photo.

Given the full photo I would still plumb for RA at this stage. The barrel of the gun does not protrude very far at all in front of the wheel in the actual badge, although I acknowledge it is missing in both photos. One can see what looks to be the gun trail on the bottom right of the badge. The intertwining of the scroll is not so pronounced in the full photo and looks more like the scroll below the field on which the gun rests in the RA badge.

Put it on the British Military Badge Forum here http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php and see what transpires.

Cheers

Chris

post-7376-1256902236.jpg

This is what a Royal Artillery cap badge looks like, but I'm still not convinced it's RA, because of the odd shape.

Could it be one of the spinning-wheel types where the wheel has fallen off? ;)

A case of trompe l'oeil me thinks, I have to admit that the smaller image looks more like the RA badge but like Graham I'm still not convinced that it is.

VTC - Volunteer Training Corps - similar to the Home Guard of WWII

Jon

Could be Hampshire RGA - but I'm not convinced. Antony

That might have convinced me, Mike. 1st Hampshire RGA. Antony

Although there is absolutely no way we can tell that the badge is the 1st Hampshire RGA, the badge in the link posted by Mike does have a very similar appearance around the gun wheel. I'm at a loss for any other badge other than artillery be it Field, Garrison or Horse. Does an AVL exist for Lymington?

Jon