Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

need help identifying grandad's uniform

Guest katybarry

Guest katybarry

Hi all.

Attached is a photo of my grandfather Cornelius Buckley,79 Spring Lane, Blackpool,Cork, Ireland. I know very little about him beyond that he fought in the Great War and died in 1938 leaving behind a wife and young family. There are seven men of the same name in the Medal Index Cards. I discounted one KIA, one who was a driver. Among the others are 2 members of Royal Irish Rifles, a Sth Wales Borderer,a Queens Royal Suffolk Reg and a Dublin Fusilier. Although the photo was damaged and the image is blurred I feel the cap badge is that of the RDF. I've zoomed in on the cap badge for the second shot.

Many thank in advance, Mary Dineen

2ir4rr9.jpg

post-50400-1256750587.jpg

Hi, and welcome to the Forum. I'd go with Royal Dublin Fusiliers - everything looks good: scroll under grenade cap badge, and what looks like grenades on the shoulder titles.

Mary

More of his story will be revealed once the reference against his medal issues on the Medal Index Card is de-coded. B/101B9 page 664 is the page of the original Medal Roll which is filed at Kew in the series WO329 and which will almost certainly show the Battalion he served in when he first became entitled to the medals. As you may already know that would be after 31/12/1915. Unfortunately this de-coding has to be done in situ at Kew from a couple of index books.

Sotonmate

Guest katybarry

Thanks folks.

I've just been reading up on the Medal rolls. Seems like I'll be making the journey to Kew alright. This looks like its becoming addictive.

Mary